[governance] Second Draft of Statement on USCommerceDepartment/GAC chairintervention

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Aug 20 14:46:58 EDT 2005

Izumi:
Thanks for your comment, understand about the lack of time. Frankly, I
didn't expect you or certain other interim ALAC Board members to change
your minds about anything. So the revisions were not targeted at you. I
do however greatly respect your surprising willingness to engage, which
contrasts quite markedly with certain other ALAC appointees. Thank you
again.

I would like to address one issue you raise, however.

>>> Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org> 08/20/05 2:11 PM >>>
>AND I don't see that urgent need/impact this statement
>would bring about at this point of time where ICANN already
>differed by one month, ICM accepted that, etc.

Of course ICM had no choice but to accept the delay after it was
requested by DoC. I am quite sure they are not happy about this delay
and possible reversal. My guess is that they want to be cooperative so
that they maximize their chances of being treated favorably during this
delay. But if someone holds a gun to your head and says, "give me your
money or I'll shoot you" and you respond cooperatively, saying "sure,
here it is, take it" - it doesn't mean you agree with what is
happening.

Regarding "urgent need" I think we may never agree, but I am very
confident about my intuition that this is a critical event in ICANN's
history. The refusal or inability of ALAC and IGC to address it is quite
disturbing - especially since WGIG Report identified US unilateral
control of DNS as a priority issue. I guess people are mixed up because
of the "pornography" connection. They are overlooking the only two
critical facts that matter: 1) this is the first time the US Commerce
Dept has used its special powers over ICANN in a policy context; 2) the
political pressure is coming from a group that advocates censorship. If
.xxx decision is reversed and the precedent means what I think it will
mean, and we say nothing, it is a tragedy.