[governance] First Draft of Statement on US CommerceDepartment/GAC chairintervention

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Sat Aug 20 14:11:10 EDT 2005

Milton and all,

Thanks for making revision to the first draft.

I have to fly to Taipei tomorrow morning for ICANN AtLarge
Asia Pacific activity/meeting, and I just came back from one-night
trip inside Japan, I have very little time to spend on this issue.

First, I appreciate your effort, including separation/deletion of GAC Chair
letter and focus only on USG. That makes things much clearer.

However, I am still not convinced with the other parts of revisions.
ICANN's original design etc is one area, "content-regulation" is another area,
and final para's "it must occur through careful, deliberate negotiations and
multilateral agreements among governments and other stakeholders."
is problematic with me.

AND I don't see that urgent need/impact this statement
would bring about at this point of time where ICANN already
differed by one month, ICM accepted that, etc.

As for ALAC, I forwarded the messages to our list, but so far
I see no support to go forward with the drafts, had a couple of strong
reservations instead, and the rest of ALAC members are silent.

With this, I must say that your draft has very little support from ALAC.
Too bad, but this is a fact.

Sorry for not giving more explanation, but it's 3 am Sunday night,
or Monday morning... already.

izumi