[governance] Reservations - Re: Response document to USG recent statements...

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Aug 19 10:44:03 EDT 2005

>>> Robert Guerra <rguerra at lists.privaterra.org> 08/19/05 10:13 AM >>>
>You should not quickly dismiss the points related to in what "name"
>the response document should be issued.

I did not dismiss those points. I said I would modify the title in my
response to Izumi, who was the first to complain about it.

Robert, a message was recently sent to the Plenary list titled, "Civil
society groups launch website...." That, as I explained earlier, is the
sense in which the term would be used.

Do you object to that? Are you going to go to WIPO and ask for
trademark rights in the term ;-)

>Just because you and several others that share your opinion
>are part of civil society does not mean you can speak on behalf
>of civil society as a whole.

Robert, NOBODY can speak on behalf of civil society as a whole. I have
been saying that on this and the WSIS plenary list for almost two years.
Not me, and not any collection f WSIS subgroups.

Any attempt to assert a monopoly on the term or to regulate its use by
the WSIS-CS hierarchy is illegitimate.

>I am on many WSIS related lists, and it seems that you have only
>just consulted the  internet governance caucus.

Don't worry, based on my tremendous success here I plan to open
franchises all over cyberspace. Seriously, it made sense to start here.