[governance] First Draft of Statement on US CommerceDepartment/GACchair intervention

Yulia Timofeeva airetg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 10:04:30 EDT 2005

 Milton Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>"Suppressing this TLD could create a precedent for political
suppression of free expression on the Internet using the leverage of
the technical system"

>  the Commerce Dept has openly cited the results of a
> letter campaign by the Family Research Council, a US civil society
> organization which openly advocates censorship of sexually explicit
> material. If the USG is not responding to calls for censorship what is
> it doing? Someone please explain this to me.

Like many others on the list I cannot label the opposition of USG to
.xxx as censorship.

How exactly free expression on the Internet will be suppressed? On the
contrary, if .xxx is used it will enable easy suppression of
expression.  The Family Research Council might think they are opposing
pornography in this way but they just fail to see the opportunity to
censor pornography with help of .xxx.

Why should CS follow the inaccurate judgment of USG and label this
move as censorship when in fact it is a move against censorship (even
though USG doesn't realize it)???

Yulia