[governance] First Draft of Statement on US Commerce Department/GAC chair intervention

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Aug 19 08:11:32 EDT 2005

Milton, don't see why GAC's request was against
any defined procedure. But perhaps I
misunderstand the bylaws.  Please explain.

It's irritating, it indicates problems with the
process, but where does it say GAC can't make a
request of this kind? It wasn't totally
unexpected, still a surprise, but as some
governments in Luxembourg made strong concerns
known, more (those who obviously hadn't followed
any of the ICANN process) made very strong
complaints during WGIG discussion, it wasn't out
of the blue.

When was the agenda of the August 16 board
meeting announced? i.e. when would governments
have known that a board decision on xxx was
imminent?  Veni, can you tell us.

I don't see GAC and NTIA acting in concert.  US
may have been one govt to ask GAC to ask for a
delay, but there are very strong indications they
were not the only ones.

For the rest, all been said by Izumi, Ian, Bill, Veni, Ewan...

This is a very important issue. But at the moment
I'd rather wait and see what happens between now
and September 15 and at the meeting on September
15 than try to produce any hard hitting
statement.  We don't know enough.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see a statement warning
ICANN of our concerns, set things up for a
statement should our fears be realized. And
criticizing NTIA for what I think was unfair an
inappropriate pressure, particularly when quoting
a bunch of from letters from one of the
administration's basest political lobbies.

Thanks,

Adam