[governance] First Draft of Statement (suggested recasting)

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Fri Aug 19 02:53:13 EDT 2005

Hi Milton,

As I've said, I share you general concerns and do think governments,
particularly the US government, are playing political games that are
potentially troublesome for the future conduct of IG.  And I'm a little
surprised that the objections sometimes seem to focus more on the niceties
of internal ICANN processes and personality issues rather than the larger
struggle for control in WSIS that this is part of.  But at the same time,
I think people are right to say that you should not call this a civil
society statement.  The fact that IGP is an academic body and hence part
of CS doesn't cut it as a rationale.  When something is labeled as a CS
statement, the nuance will be lost on governments, industry, and the
press, and people will feel there's been a misrepresentation that has to
be corrected.  Attempting to proceed on this basis will be very divisive
and counterproductive.

Look, you tried, and the caucus didn't agree, full stop.  No different
from any other text we've tried to work here.  You could try to do this
via NCUC instead, but since many of the people objecting in the caucus
context are also in NCUC, you might not get much farther.  Why don't you
simply release it as a IGP statement?  It will still garner press
attention (you're good at that), your views will be on the table and
become part of the larger discourse.  There's no need to try to force this
when you have your own organization that can speak clearly and loudly on
its own.

Best,

Bill