[governance] First Draft of Statement on US Commerce Department/GACchair intervention

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Aug 19 01:36:58 EDT 2005

Backing up what Izumi has said -

Quoting Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org>:

> Dear Milton,
>
> With all due respect, my first reaction to your draft is, no, this
> does not reflect my view or some other views expressed on this list.
> I have hoped that you would take divergent views into the draft
> so that it would cover and reflect the wide range of our views into
> common languages, but unfortunately I find this one still vastly too narrow.

A number of the views advanced in this list in the discussion thus far
have been
ignored, thus making a CS response far more difficult. I would include

* warnings from Ewan and others that this is not about censorship (and I add
that the "fundamentally contrary to the principles of freedom of
expression and
access to information" is overkill and innacurate)..

* warnings from Ronald to wait and see what actually happens to the USG/GAC
requests before reacting

* Carlos, Raul raising issues about the processes and advisability of the
original decision

plus a few other concerns here and there as well....