[governance] black helicopters?

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Aug 18 12:48:47 EDT 2005

Ray:
Setting out a sequence of letters and drawing conclusions based on
those facts is seeing "black helicopters??"
This thread is getting silly, so I've relabeled it as such so everyone
can delete it more easily. Kind of like .xxx, eh?

OK, so Ray, Izumi and Adam would prefer to not address the remarkable
coincidence that these letters happened within one day and called for
the same thing. They either reject the simple explanation is that USG
and GAC chair communicated and coordinated, or they think it highly rude
of me to point this obvious fact out. Me, rude?

Isn't all this "Milton is a mean guy who's casting aspersions on this
fellow or that" a total distraction from the issues I am trying to
raise?

In the big picture I am trying to understand, whether USG told Sharil
or Sharil told USG to act is not all that important. It's about the role
of governments in GAC and the often arbitrary and biased way in which
decisions get made or unmade. It's certainly not intended as a personal
attack on the GAC Chair. People like Veni who focus on this are entirely
focused on personalities. Likewise, Adam's charge that I am
personalizing the issue is diametrically oppose to the reality.

I really don't give a damn about the personalities here! That's why I
am making everyone so uncomfortable, isn't it?

It's embarassing when the little kid points out that the emporer has no
clothes. Doesn't mean he's not right. OK, I don't have the excuse of
being an innocent kid. But if the folks involved get all uncomfortable
about a reasonably objective, if critical, description of how this
happened is that my problem or theirs?

I think a big part of the problem with the way ICANN operates is that
too many people see it as a matter of ingratiating themselves with the
right people and making those people feel good. They should be more
concerned with governance structures, rules, procedures and adhering to
principles.

And besides, the helicopters were green....