[governance] Emergency resolution on.xxx recall

ian.peter at ianpeter.com ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Aug 18 02:51:59 EDT 2005

Milton, you make your points well. a few comments below..

> ICANN-T has already complied with Commerce Dept and GAC chair's request
> for a delay.

Has it? where is this announced? all I see is XXX agreeing to a delay,
which is
different.

> The issue now is what happens at the end of the delay.

yes;-)

> The best way for ICANN-W to survive this process is to give the govts a
> month to vent, while calmly but firmly explaining why ICANN made the
> decision and why it's a bad idea to go back on it now, and why gTLD
> additions should not be turned into political footballs. And explain to
> them that if they want to change the way ICANN relates to governments,
> they have to do it right, i.e., by negotiating a treaty agreement among
> themselves, not by leaping at tempting political targets.

agreed, but as you state, the issue is what happens at the end of a delay (if
there is one) and USG and/or GAC are still not happy

> Maybe you are not as worried as I am. Fine. Let's work on the language.
> But no one can reasonably say that the first open attempt at government
> censorship of the domain name space and the first open and explicit
> intervention by the US Commerce Department in ICANN policy process isn't
> something that requires some attention.

I dont see any attempt at censorship of the domain name space. I see a request
for a delay on a decision on a particular tld. I don't see any request at this
stage for the ICANN decision to be overridden. It may come, but it isn't there
yet.

Ian