[governance] Emergencyresolution on.xxx recall-and thedestruction of ICANN's integrity

Raul Echeberria raul at lacnic.net
Wed Aug 17 13:49:00 EDT 2005

Milton et al.

I think that the most important in this case is, if the system work,
that the resolution at ICANN Board, represents most of stakeholders' views.
While i share with you the view that .xxx doesn't produce pornography,
and it doesn't have any impact in the availability of pornography in the
world, I am also aware that several governments have expressed serious
concerns regarding the approval of .xxx. Maybe by ignorance or maybe
because they have their genuine concerns.

You said that this "formal" complaint is based in the US Gov influence.
Maybe. What does sound strange for you? The influence of the US Gov in
the international fora is not anything new, and it goes much more beyond
Internet issues.
But, in this case, it coincide with a broad claim from many other
governments and maybe also other organizations.

ICANN, based in its own processes and with independence, has to deal
also with this kind of complaints. It is something natural for me.
The decision regarding .xxx was very controversial, starting by the fact
that it was taken by majority in the Board and with abstentions and
other people who by not participating in the meeting,  avoided the
resonsibility of voting in this "hot" issue.
At the same time, it didn't seem to be very intelligent to approve this
controversial gTLD, just a few months before the summit. The governmnets
don't know yet what is the role the they want to play regarding new
gTLDs. There are very different views, and it is difficult to move ahead
in this context.

Now, ICANN has to evaluate the reaction in different constituencies
(including governments of course)  and act in consequence. They have to
do that in a calm way without hurry up. The mess has been already created.

I don't see any reason to submit a  CS position  if nothing has happened
yet. The US Government, the GAC and the GAC chair, have the right to
express their positions in any topic.

And at last  by not least I don't see it as a US politics problem. And
if you think that it is, that the USG is acting influenced by some
religious groups,  then you should promote this discussion mainly
internally in US.

Raúl