[governance] Emergency resolution on .xxx recall - andthedestruction of ICANN's integrity

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Aug 16 13:24:31 EDT 2005

This .xxx problem could become an interesting case, in particular against the background of the WGIG/WSIS development and the promised independence of ICANN.

Here is a possible scenario: According to ICANN´s Bylaws, ICANN can reject the GAC advise, but has to explain to the GAC why. Vint and Paul did this already in GACs joint meeting with the ICANN Board in Luxembourg in July 2005. Their argument was, that .xxx does not introduce porn on the Internet. There is already enough dirty content in many TLDs. ICANN, according to its mission, defined in the bylaws, is responsible for the technical management and makes no decision with regard to content. Paul also mentioned that no government participated in the public comment period, where 62 comments has been received. This argument was countered by the Brazilian GAC member who argued that he can not accept a division of labour where ICANN creates "thematic parks" and the governments have then to fill it or regulate it. But no decision was taken in the GAC. It is a little bit unclear, what process within GAC has produced Sharil´s letter. There is no documented discussion on the GAC website. And the GAC has normnally no telephone conferences. Nevertheless, the letter reads like a "GAC advice on public policy matters". But as said above, ICANN can reject GACs advice according to its bylaws.

Articel 11, Section 2-1 says:
"j. The advice of the Governmental Advisory Committee on public policy matters shall be duly taken into account, both in the formulation and adoption of policies. In the event that the ICANN Board determines to take an action that is not consistent with the Governmental Advisory Committee advice, it shall so inform the Committee and state the reasons why it decided not to follow that advice. The Governmental Advisory Committee and the ICANN Board will then try, in good faith and in a timely and efficient manner, to find a mutually acceptable solution.

k. If no such solution can be found, the ICANN Board will state in its final decision the reasons why the Governmental Advisory Committee advice was not followed, and such statement will be without prejudice to the rights or obligations of Governmental Advisory Committee members with regard to public policy issues falling within their responsibilities."

If the ICANN Board would reject the advise and the following consultations fail, ICANN has to explain the reasons for its decision it to the general public and the global Internet community, but in fact - theoretically - the GAC can not stop it.

What would be the next step? ICANN/IANA would send the .xxx zone file to the US Department of Commerce which has to authorize its publication in the root. And this is the interesting point. After Gallaghers letter, would NTIA remain "neutral" as it promises in the latest statement on WGIG by the US Department of State? And if the DOC would block the authorization of the .xxx zone file, would the USG do this on their own behalf (as a unilateral decision) or on behalf of the GAC based on a agreement among governments? One additional problem is that the GAC is not a decision making body, it is an advisory body and has nor procedures for decision making in place.

Best

wolfgang