[governance] CS STATEMENT V4: Penultimate version

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon Aug 15 10:08:31 EDT 2005

At 1:05 PM +0100 8/15/05, karen banks wrote:
>hi all
>
>I want to work on this in chunks, so posting
>notes on final texts we can mark off as done.
>
>final:
>
>Editorial:
>- Question: Isn't Marcus also an Ambassador?
>- It needs a spell check
>- the Forum is not alwasy capitalized
>- Capitalization ofInternet is not consistent

(I like I you like i , expect it will spell check
better the way you usually do things.  I don't
mind either way.)

>all paras with substantive changes, or where
>alternative options are presented are marked in
>yellow - the doc has been renumbered so the
>paras may have changes.
>
>main paras to note (but please read the whole doc)
>
>2: Is markus kummar an ambassador ? :)

No, he's still Mr.  (I asked him while at the
ICANN meeting, he though Amb quite funny and was
flattered, but he's a Mr.)

>10: removed 'take input from global forum' (i
>think that was the para, lost the change now)

fine

>11/12: Human rights - REVISED TEXT - from HR caucus members

fine

>14. internet stability etc.. - REVISED TEXT - from privsec caucus members

fine, but don't include "unless it is absolutely necessary, etc."

>19-21: universal access - there were further
>comments offlist re needing recommendations on
>this but we haven't time - suggest we prioritise
>this for prepcom

fine

>22: interconnection costs - ditto 19-21

fine

>26: FOSS - NEW OPTIONAL TEXT - please read

option 2 (the 2 paragraphs)

>27: academia and technical community - optional text - please read

include the additional option 2 sentence.  In
WSIS academia is CS. No doubt of that.  And we
are trying to make the strongest case for CS, we
are stronger with academia correctly recognized.
(I don't understand why this is an issue.)

>29-30: individual users and e2e - editing - no
>new text but rearranged slightly

(note there's a malformed dash in para 29, after
netizens ... that was my fault!)

>31-34: sovereignty, national/international cs
>participation etc.. NEW optional text - please
>read

Option 1 (para 30, 33 and 34)

>36-42: forum function, have tried to take on baord comments - please read

I prefer making clear that before created the
forum scope, funding etc etc must be agreed.  But
OK with 37 if OK with all.

>** not sure we have consensus on provision of so much detail **

para 40 c. delete (WGIG Report para 72)

There is repetition -- c and i?  d and l? c & n? saying similar.

>43-48: oversight function - NEW OPTIONAL para 47 on DNS

para 43. I think there was objection to
supporting model 4. Delete ref to 4 and say
"However, aspects of model 3, particularly ..."

I prefer para 48 over 47, but can see there may
be objections.  But my vote for 48.

>49-50: capacity building - edited text

49.  Please delete "an explicit recommendation to
fund " and  "to carry out internet governance
capacity building in partnership with
universities in developed countries."  I don't
think the caucus should make such specific
recommendations.

50 = fine.

>52-65: very long section on root zone, NTIA, EU etc
>
>have toned down applauding and edited - please check

52 and 53 as you sent in separate email are fine (except for an errant ",  !)

>e2e - am not sure the text is consistent - please check
>
>59 - ICANN para - no change - are we in agreement that it stays?

I'd keep it.

Some later renumbering to go.

In 64 c, is everyone OK with:

- issuing a statement as we suggest in 64a above

Thanks,

Adam