[governance] On CS I'net Gov. Caucus Response

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun Aug 14 17:58:10 EDT 2005

Milton,

At 17:32 14-08-05  -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>Ronald Koven:
>Regarding ICANN, we now have a smoking gun for you. The ICANN

I don't see this as a "smoking gun". It's so normal to have such a
discussion, that there's nothing more normal than that. It's good that the
governments have decided to start it. Finally:)

>Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) has issued a letter expressing the
>view that ICANN's Board should reverse a decision it has already made,
>because some members of GAC don't like the idea of having a .xxx
>top-level domain.

Actually that's not the intent of the letter. It says "the Board should
allow time for additional governmental and public policy concerns to be
expressed before reaching a final decision on this TLD." I'd like to make
sure in this environment there's no speculations about what was said. I
somehow wonder why would you think that this is a request to "reverse a
decision the Board has already made".
On the other hand, of course, having the governments request a longer time
for discussion, after 5 years of such discussion, seems a little bit
delayed, but what can we do about it...better late than never.

>http://www.icann.org/correspondence/tarmizi-to-board-12aug05.htm
>
>Please note that under ICANN's structure, GAC has no authority
>whatsoever to ask for such a thing. And yet, it might get it.

Actually GAC asks for more time, not for a different decision.

Veni

p.s. the opinion expressed are my own, and do not engage any of the
organizations I work with or for.