[governance] CS STATEMENT V3: Statement

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Aug 14 18:00:33 EDT 2005

Hi Karen a few comments -

4.The sentences on history does not read well where it is. Suggest put it
after "governance arrangements" in same section.

30. I have a problem with "The end-to-end decentralized architecture should
be preserved and reinforced against all attempt to introduce centralized
control over the Internet." Some very good thinkers in this area (see pps
11-12 of the NSF workshop report at
http://www.internetmark2.org/barriers-0001.pdf challenge the usefulness of
slavish adherence to end-to-end and raise significant problems particularly
as regards mobility. In any case, the important principles should relate to
connectivity, access, security, etc, not some means of achieving these
principles (e2e architecture as it is currently understood is a means of
achieving these, not the only one). Sorry for the e2e mantra chanters but
there are other religions in this debate! My suggestion is drop the sentence
altogether because in fact there is already centralized control in DNS at
least (something of an anomaly...)

38. forum length - suggest 5 years, not 2 for a trial. 2 yrs will do nothing

46. grammar in first sentence

51. similar comments about end to end as under 30. praise eu for the other
stuff.

58 Lee sez redundant - however it gives context to 59 which I think is very
important, so i would keep or amend rather than delete

Ian Peter
Senior Partner
Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
P.O Box 10670  Adelaide St