[governance] Comments related to the WGIG report

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Aug 9 02:52:06 EDT 2005

At 03:10 PM 9/08/2005, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> > I've just posted a blog entry with my comments related to the WGIG
> > report.
> >
> > You can find the comments here:
> >
> > http://www.privaterra.org/activities/wsis/blog/wgig-rg-comments.html
>
>May I comment on one of your comments? You say:
>
>"In regards to stability - The threat of the creation of a alternate top
>level DNS is increasingly being mentioned. This would create a
>Split/fracture of the DNS. This would lead to instability. This is an
>issue of critical concern - Proactive measures, policies and actions are
>needed to prevent this."
>
>I strongly disagree with this. A single root system is highly desirable,
>but, at the same time, having the option to have more than one is a
>basic "check and balance" on the fact that the current one is well
>managed. This is a very general principle over the Internet, and it is
>at the heart of its inherent support for freedom: if you don't like how
>something is managed - be it a service, a website, an application, a
>server... - you are free to spend some effort to create your own
>alternative, and if you meet the expectations of the public better, your
>service will become the most used one.

I have to strongly disagree with this - If you want a global bit bucket
into which you cast random bits that are unreadable and useless for anyone
else then by all means break apart the consistency of mapping between
symbols and their semantic intent.  The principle you espouse here is NOT
at the heart of the Internet, or any other coherent communications system.

If, on the other hand, you actually want to use the network, then we all
need to maintain consistent use of a single namespace and the associated
semantic intent of names that populate this space.  You really should read
through RFC 2826 carefully and then think about _why_ the IAB thought it
appropriate to generate this note. The entire concept of an orderly
transition into digital incoherence that you describe here is at best
amusing, but of no merit otherwise.

regards,

   Geoff Huston