[governance] MS Forum proposal of WGIG [was: Caucus process comment]

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Aug 7 21:10:52 EDT 2005

Jeanette:
Thanks for keeping this going. I guess we are all exhausted (I know I
am) or on vacation (I wish) but it seems dangerous to be getting so
close to Prepcom 3 with no specific plans.

The problem with a model is that it carries baggage with it that may
not be related to the merits of the proposal. E.g., the UN ICT TF has
some weaknesses as well as positive aspects. These were discussed at
some length in the "Global Alliance" discussions. Some have expressed
concern about the MS Forum proposal of WGIG getting to close to the UN
ICT TF Global Allience discussions. Perhaps they can explain better what
they see as the negatives and how that would feed into the Forum
discussions.

I am somewhat surprised by your apparent willingness to accept a new
Forum that has no funding commitment from govts. I think that is a
recipe for failure. Agree with McIver that it will have a major impact
on representation (but also know that subsidized representation brings
its own distortions). Supporters of the Forum idea need to step up here
and clarify what they have in mind and how they think the role for the
Forum they outlined can best be funded.

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

>[...]
>

>Milton mentioned funding. I remember Wolfgang saying that we should
not
>assume any institutional funding, and that all participants need to
come
>up with their own resources.

How would we ensure participation from constituencies that have
limited funding?

>Other people thought the forum should be
>able to commission research projects and build up competence similar
>what the OECD does. It seems clear that the funding more or less
>determines what such a forum can do.

It also determines who is represented.

>jeanette

[...]