No subject

Thu Jan 13 08:49:26 EST 2022

ation and consensus decision-making.

Let me start with participation.  Internet policy issues draw a much larger=
 range of stakeholders than traditional telecommunications issues.  One key=
 benefit of multistakeholder processes is that they can include and engage =
all interested parties.  Such parties can include industry, civil society, =
government, technical and academic experts and even the general public.  Th=
e Internet is a diverse, multi-layered system that thrives only through the=
 cooperation of many different parties.  Solving, or even meaningfully disc=
ussing, policy issues in this space, requires engaging these different part=
ies.  Indeed, by encouraging the participation of all interested parties, m=
ultistakeholder processes can encourage broader and more creative problem s=
olving.

The second key attribute is consensus decision-making.  It is important tha=
t stakeholders come together on an equal footing.  The best way to ensure t=
hat all parties are treated equally is to make decisions on a consensus bas=
is.  Final decisions need to reflect the views of all stakeholders as oppos=
ed to just the views of only one of the stakeholder communities involved.=20

Multistakeholder organizations such as the Internet Engineering Task Force =
and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) have pl=
ayed a major role in the design and operation of the Internet and are direc=
tly responsible for its success.  Within the Obama Administration, we belie=
ve that maintaining and extending this model is important to ensure the con=
tinued growth and innovation of the Internet.

There is bipartisan support for the multistakeholder model of Internet gove=
rnance.  Both Republican and Democratic administrations have consistently e=
mphasized that the multistakeholder process is the best mechanism for makin=
g decisions about how the Internet should be managed.  Congress agrees.  Ea=
rlier this spring, the Senate unanimously passed Senate Resolution 71, whic=
h states that the =E2=80=9CUnited States remains committed to the multistak=
eholder model of Internet governance in which the private sector works in c=
ollaboration with civil society, governments, and technical experts in a co=
nsensus fashion.=E2=80=9D=20

Today, the Internet is at a critical juncture.  We are continuing to oppose=
 efforts by authoritarian regimes to replace multistakeholder decision maki=
ng with a process limited only to governments.  This debate came to a head =
in 2012 at the International Telecommunication Union=E2=80=99s World Confer=
ence on International Telecommunications (WCIT) in Dubai.  At this meeting,=
 governments split over whether the ITU, a United Nations organization in w=
hich only nations have a vote, should have more control over the Internet. =
 A majority of countries there supported greater governmental control.=20

However, since that conference, we have seen a growing acceptance of the mu=
ltistakeholder model around the world, but particularly in developing count=
ries.  Democracies in the developed world have long supported the multistak=
eholder model of Internet policymaking.  The Organization for Economic Coop=
eration and Development (OECD) adopted a set of principles for Internet pol=
icymaking in 2011 that strongly endorse multistakeholder cooperation.  The =
OECD principles state, =E2=80=9Cmultistakeholder processes have been shown =
to provide the flexibility and global scalability required to address Inter=
net policy challenges.=E2=80=9D

What is now emerging is greater acceptance of the model in developing count=
ries.  A year ago, Brazil hosted the successful NetMundial conference, whic=
h brought together a wide range of stakeholders including technical experts=
, civil society groups, industry representatives and government officials, =
all on an equal footing with each other.  At this meeting not only did part=
icipants agree that Internet governance should be built on democratic multi=
stakeholder processes, the entire meeting was a demonstration of the open, =
participative, and consensus-driven governance that has allowed the Interne=
t to develop as an unparalleled engine of economic growth and innovation.

Most recently, at the ITU=E2=80=99s 2014 Plenipotentiary conference in Busa=
n, Korea late last year, we saw the fruits of all our work to preserve mult=
istakeholder Internet governance.  The United States achieved all of its ob=
jectives in Busan, including keeping the ITU=E2=80=99s work focused on its =
current mandate and not expanding its role into Internet and cybersecurity =
issues.=20

This validation of the multistakeholder model comes at a critical time.  La=
st year, NTIA announced its intention to complete the privatization of the =
Internet Domain Name System (DNS). Key to the operation of the DNS is the p=
erformance of important technical functions known as the IANA functions, th=
e most well known of which is the maintenance of the authoritative root zon=
e file, the telephone book for the Internet that supports the routing of al=
l traffic to websites.=20

The process of privatization of the DNS began in 1998, when NTIA entered in=
to a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with ICANN to transition technical D=
NS coordination and management functions to the private sector.  A year ago=
 in March, NTIA asked ICANN to convene a multistakeholder process to develo=
p a proposal to take the final step to complete the transition of the U.S. =
stewardship over the IANA functions to the international community.  We did=
 this to ensure that the multistakeholder model for DNS coordination contin=
ues.  Some governments have long bristled at the historical role the U.S. g=
overnment has played in the DNS and have used our continued stewardship of =
the DNS as an excuse to argue for greater government control over how the I=
nternet is governed.

When we announced this transition, we outlined some specific conditions tha=
t must be addressed before this transition takes place.  First, the proposa=
l must support and enhance the multistakeholder model of Internet governanc=
e, in that it should be developed by the multistakeholder community and hav=
e broad community support.  More specifically, we will not accept a transit=
ion proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government-led or intergove=
rnmental organization solution.  Second, the proposal must maintain the sec=
urity, stability, and resiliency of the domain name system.  Third, it must=
 meet the needs and expectations of the global customers and partners of th=
e IANA services.  And finally, it must maintain the openness of the Interne=
t.

We are pleased that the community has responded enthusiastically to our cal=
l to develop a transition plan that will ensure the stability, security and=
 openness of the Internet.  The community is in the process of developing p=
roposals related to the specific IANA functions as well as examining how to=
 ensure ICANN remains accountable to the global Internet community.=20

I am confident that engaging the global Internet community to work out thes=
e important issues will strengthen the multistakeholder process and will re=
sult in ICANN=E2=80=99s becoming even more directly accountable to the cust=
omers of the IANA functions and to the broader Internet community.=20

Some of you here today are likely participating in the stakeholder discussi=
ons to design the transition plan.  Others of you are no doubt wondering wh=
y you should care about this transition and what is at stake for you.  The =
members of Internet2, such as universities and research institutions, depen=
d on the free flow of information.  Completing the privatization of the Dom=
ain Name System is an important step to ensure that the Internet remains a =
global platform for the free exchange of ideas, commerce and social progres=
s.

Failing to complete the transition, as we promised 17 years ago, risks brea=
king trust in the United States and in the underlying system that has enabl=
ed the Internet to work seamlessly for consumers and businesses.  Introduci=
ng this uncertainty could have a significant impact on American companies t=
hat depend on the Internet to do business if other countries respond by ere=
cting barriers to the free flow of information or worst case, abandoning th=
e long-held belief in the power of a single Internet root.=20

The transition plan is being developed by the Internet=E2=80=99s stakeholde=
rs and must be a proposal that generates consensus support from the multist=
akeholder community.  All of you can play a role to ensure a good outcome. =
 First, I encourage you to participate in the transition planning process. =
 You are an important constituency and those crafting this plan must hear f=
rom you as this transition progresses.  Second, stay informed on the progre=
ss of the transition.  When the community completes its consensus plan, let=
 your voice be heard in support of completing the transition.  We all have =
a stake in this transition and in ensuring the Internet remains an open, dy=
namic platform for economic and social progress. Decades ago, the academic =
community played a central role in the development of the Internet; now we =
need you to play an active role in its future.

Thank you for listening.

=20

=20

Joelle Tessler

Manager of Stakeholder Relations and Outreach

National Telecommunications and Information Administration

U.S. Department of Commerce

jtessler at ntia.doc.gov <mailto:jtessler at ntia.doc.gov>=20

=20

=20

--=20

=20

--=20

Carolina Rossini=20

Vice President, International Policy and Strategy=20

Public Knowledge

http://www.publicknowledge.org/

+ 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini

=20

--=20

=20

Carolina Rossini=20

Vice President, International Policy

Public Knowledge

http://www.publicknowledge.org/

+ 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini

=20

------=_NextPart_000_081E_01D08283.41471AD0

osoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns=3D"http:=
//www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=
=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft=
 Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
h1
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:24.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;
	font-weight:bold;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}
span.Heading1Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1";
	font-family:"Calibri Light",sans-serif;
	color:#2E74B5;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-CA;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:#1F497D;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue vli=
nk=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span style=3D'f=
ont-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F497D;mso-fareast-=
language:EN-US'>I think so that it is clear that we are all talking about t=
he same thing, perhaps we could hear from any of the =E2=80=9Ccivil society=
=E2=80=9D proponents of multistakeholderism on this list whether they see a=
ny distance between how Secretary Strickling formulates the concept(s) and =
span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color:#1F49=
7D;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNo=
rmal><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;color=
:#1F497D;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>Jeremy, Avri, Jeanette, Wolfgang, Adam=
, Bill, Anriette, Milton, anyone?<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal=
497D;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p class=3DMso=
Normal><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;col=
or:#1F497D;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'>M<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMs=
oNormal><span style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;co=
lor:#1F497D;mso-fareast-language:EN-US'><o:p> </o:p></span></p><p clas=
s=3DMsoNormal><b><span lang=3DEN-US style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"=
Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span></b><span lang=3DEN-US style=3D'font-size:=
11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.n=
et [mailto:bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net] <b>On Behalf Of </b>Carolin=
@lists.bestbits.net> bestbits at lists.bestbits.net&gt<br><b>Subject:</=
b> [bestbits] Remarks of Lawrence E. Strickling Assistant Secretary for Com=
munications and Information Internet2 Global Summit<o:p></o:p></span></p><p=
e=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><br>---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>F=
rom: <b>Joelle Tessler</b> <<a href=3D"mailto:JTessler at ntia.do=
c.gov">JTessler at ntia.doc.gov</a>><br>Date: Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 5:06 PM<=
br>Subject: Remarks of Assistant Secretary Strickling at Internet2 Global S=
ummit<br>To: Joelle Tessler <<a href=3D"mailto:JTessler at ntia.doc.gov">JT=
tyle=3D'text-align:center'><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:12.5pt;font-f=
amily:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#282828'>Remarks of Assistant Secretary Stri=
ckling at Internet2 Global Summit</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></spa=
n></h1><p><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans=
-serif'> </span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p><p align=3Dce=
nter style=3D'text-align:center'><strong><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size=
:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Remarks of Lawrence E. Strickling</s=
pan></strong><b><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial=
rong><span style=3D'font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Internet2 Global Summit=
><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:aut=
o;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font=
-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><a href=3D"http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestim=
ony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-internet2-global-summit" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://www.ntia.doc.gov/speechtestimony/2015/remarks-assist=
ant-secretary-strickling-internet2-global-summit</a></span><span lang=3DEN-=
ong><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif=
,sans-serif'>I am honored to be here to speak at Internet 2=E2=80=99s Globa=
l Summit.  Internet2 has been a strong partner with NTIA as a recipien=
t of a $62 million Recovery Act broadband grant.  With this grant, Int=
ernet2 has lit or upgraded over 18,000 miles of a national fiber backbone n=
etwork.  This 100 gigabit per second backbone is accessible to more th=
an 93,000 community anchor institutions through Internet 2=E2=80=99s partne=
rship with regional research and education networks.  Several of these=
 networks also received NTIA grants so we know that in Michigan, North Caro=
lina and numerous other states, the good work of Internet 2 and the researc=
h and education community is driving higher speeds and lower cost broadband=
 for schools and other institutions of learning.</span><span lang=3DEN-US><=
y:"Arial",sans-serif'>However, I did not come here today to talk about broa=
dband.  My topic today is Internet governance.  This is an import=
ant and timely issue for everyone who relies on the Internet but particular=
ly for the members of Internet2.  As your website states, =E2=80=9Cthe=
 commercial Internet we know today was shaped by the vision and work of the=
 people and organizations in the Internet2 community.=E2=80=9D  Indeed=
, we only enjoy the Internet today due to the engagement of the academic co=
mmunity decades ago. </span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p><=
p><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>=
The first four nodes on ARPANET, the experimental network from which the In=
ternet evolved, were universities:  UCLA, Stanford, the University of =
California at Santa Barbara and the University of Utah.  The first mes=
sage ever sent was between UCLA and Stanford.  We know from history th=
at this first attempt to login crashed the system but the problem was quick=
ly fixed and the rest is history. </span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p=
,sans-serif'>New challenges to the Internet emerge every day, whether they =
are related to cybersecurity, privacy, or the free flow of information acro=
ss borders.  As we confront these challenges, we continue to debate a =
key question that has dominated international discussions over the last dec=
ade or so, specifically who should govern the Internet?  Who should ma=
ke the decisions that determine what the Internet of tomorrow will look lik=
e?  How can we ensure that the decisions made today will enable the In=
ternet to continue to thrive as the amazing engine of economic growth and i=
nnovation we enjoy today?</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p><p=
he debate has focused on two very different choices.  One choice is th=
at governments alone should make the key decisions on the governance of the=
 Internet.  This is the choice favored by authoritarian governments th=
at want to restrict the information available to their citizens.  The =
other choice is to rely on all stakeholders to make these decisions through=
 what is known as the multistakeholder model of Internet governance.</span>=
ize:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>What do we mean by the multistake=
holder model?  One expert defines the multistakeholder model as differ=
ent interest groups coming together on an equal footing to =E2=80=9Cidentif=
y problems, define solutions, and agree on roles and responsibilities for p=
olicy development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.<a name=3D"14d=
01dafb675ae2d__ftnref1"></a><a href=3D"http://www.ntia.doc.gov/print/speech=
testimony/2015/remarks-assistant-secretary-strickling-internet2-global-summ=
nt-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>From that description, there =
are two key attributes to emphasize:  participation and consensus deci=
=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Let me start=
 with participation.  Internet policy issues draw a much larger range =
of stakeholders than traditional telecommunications issues.  One key b=
enefit of multistakeholder processes is that they can include and engage al=
l interested parties.  Such parties can include industry, civil societ=
y, government, technical and academic experts and even the general public.&=
nbsp; The Internet is a diverse, multi-layered system that thrives only thr=
ough the cooperation of many different parties.  Solving, or even mean=
ingfully discussing, policy issues in this space, requires engaging these d=
ifferent parties.  Indeed, by encouraging the participation of all int=
erested parties, multistakeholder processes can encourage broader and more =
creative problem solving.</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p><p=
he second key attribute is consensus decision-making.  It is important=
 that stakeholders come together on an equal footing.  The best way to=
 ensure that all parties are treated equally is to make decisions on a cons=
ensus basis.  Final decisions need to reflect the views of all stakeho=
lders as opposed to just the views of only one of the stakeholder communiti=
lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Multista=
keholder organizations such as the Internet Engineering Task Force and the =
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) have played a m=
ajor role in the design and operation of the Internet and are directly resp=
onsible for its success.  Within the Obama Administration, we believe =
that maintaining and extending this model is important to ensure the contin=
ued growth and innovation of the Internet.</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></=
al",sans-serif'>There is bipartisan support for the multistakeholder model =
of Internet governance.  Both Republican and Democratic administration=
s have consistently emphasized that the multistakeholder process is the bes=
t mechanism for making decisions about how the Internet should be managed.&=
nbsp; Congress agrees.  Earlier this spring, the Senate unanimously pa=
ssed Senate Resolution 71, which states that the =E2=80=9CUnited States rem=
ains committed to the multistakeholder model of Internet governance in whic=
h the private sector works in collaboration with civil society, governments=
, and technical experts in a consensus fashion.=E2=80=9D </span><span =
5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Today, the Internet is at a critical ju=
ncture.  We are continuing to oppose efforts by authoritarian regimes =
to replace multistakeholder decision making with a process limited only to =
governments.  This debate came to a head in 2012 at the International =
Telecommunication Union=E2=80=99s World Conference on International Telecom=
munications (WCIT) in Dubai.  At this meeting, governments split over =
whether the ITU, a United Nations organization in which only nations have a=
 vote, should have more control over the Internet.  A majority of coun=
tries there supported greater governmental control. </span><span lang=
font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>However, since that conference, we have see=
n a growing acceptance of the multistakeholder model around the world, but =
particularly in developing countries.  Democracies in the developed wo=
rld have long supported the multistakeholder model of Internet policymaking=
.  The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) ad=
opted a set of principles for Internet policymaking in 2011 that strongly e=
ndorse multistakeholder cooperation.  The OECD principles state, =E2=
=80=9Cmultistakeholder processes have been shown to provide the flexibility=
 and global scalability required to address Internet policy challenges.=E2=
yle=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>What is now emerging=
 is greater acceptance of the model in developing countries.  A year a=
go, Brazil hosted the successful NetMundial conference, which brought toget=
her a wide range of stakeholders including technical experts, civil society=
 groups, industry representatives and government officials, all on an equal=
 footing with each other.  At this meeting not only did participants a=
gree that Internet governance should be built on democratic multistakeholde=
r processes, the entire meeting was a demonstration of the open, participat=
ive, and consensus-driven governance that has allowed the Internet to devel=
op as an unparalleled engine of economic growth and innovation.</span><span=
.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Most recently, at the ITU=E2=80=99s 20=
14 Plenipotentiary conference in Busan, Korea late last year, we saw the fr=
uits of all our work to preserve multistakeholder Internet governance.&nbsp=
; The United States achieved all of its objectives in Busan, including keep=
ing the ITU=E2=80=99s work focused on its current mandate and not expanding=
 its role into Internet and cybersecurity issues. </span><span lang=3D=
t-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>This validation of the multistakeholder model =
comes at a critical time.  Last year, NTIA announced its intention to =
complete the privatization of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS). Key to=
 the operation of the DNS is the performance of important technical functio=
ns known as the IANA functions, the most well known of which is the mainten=
ance of the authoritative root zone file, the telephone book for the Intern=
et that supports the routing of all traffic to websites. </span><span =
5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>The process of privatization of the DNS=
 began in 1998, when NTIA entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) =
with ICANN to transition technical DNS coordination and management function=
s to the private sector.  A year ago in March, NTIA asked ICANN to con=
vene a multistakeholder process to develop a proposal to take the final ste=
p to complete the transition of the U.S. stewardship over the IANA function=
s to the international community.  We did this to ensure that the mult=
istakeholder model for DNS coordination continues.  Some governments h=
ave long bristled at the historical role the U.S. government has played in =
the DNS and have used our continued stewardship of the DNS as an excuse to =
argue for greater government control over how the Internet is governed.</sp=
t-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>When we announced this transit=
ion, we outlined some specific conditions that must be addressed before thi=
s transition takes place.  First, the proposal must support and enhanc=
e the multistakeholder model of Internet governance, in that it should be d=
eveloped by the multistakeholder community and have broad community support=
.  More specifically, we will not accept a transition proposal that re=
places the NTIA role with a government-led or intergovernmental organizatio=
n solution.  Second, the proposal must maintain the security, stabilit=
y, and resiliency of the domain name system.  Third, it must meet the =
needs and expectations of the global customers and partners of the IANA ser=
vices.  And finally, it must maintain the openness of the Internet.</s=
nt-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>We are pleased that the commu=
nity has responded enthusiastically to our call to develop a transition pla=
n that will ensure the stability, security and openness of the Internet.&nb=
sp; The community is in the process of developing proposals related to the =
specific IANA functions as well as examining how to ensure ICANN remains ac=
countable to the global Internet community. </span><span lang=3DEN-US>=
ly:"Arial",sans-serif'>I am confident that engaging the global Internet com=
munity to work out these important issues will strengthen the multistakehol=
der process and will result in ICANN=E2=80=99s becoming even more directly =
accountable to the customers of the IANA functions and to the broader Inter=
n lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Some o=
f you here today are likely participating in the stakeholder discussions to=
 design the transition plan.  Others of you are no doubt wondering why=
 you should care about this transition and what is at stake for you.  =
The members of Internet2, such as universities and research institutions, d=
epend on the free flow of information.  Completing the privatization o=
f the Domain Name System is an important step to ensure that the Internet r=
emains a global platform for the free exchange of ideas, commerce and socia=
EN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Failing to comp=
lete the transition, as we promised 17 years ago, risks breaking trust in t=
he United States and in the underlying system that has enabled the Internet=
 to work seamlessly for consumers and businesses.  Introducing this un=
certainty could have a significant impact on American companies that depend=
 on the Internet to do business if other countries respond by erecting barr=
iers to the free flow of information or worst case, abandoning the long-hel=
d belief in the power of a single Internet root. </span><span lang=3DE=
-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>The transition plan is being developed by the I=
nternet=E2=80=99s stakeholders and must be a proposal that generates consen=
sus support from the multistakeholder community.  All of you can play =
a role to ensure a good outcome.  First, I encourage you to participat=
e in the transition planning process.  You are an important constituen=
cy and those crafting this plan must hear from you as this transition progr=
esses.  Second, stay informed on the progress of the transition. =
 When the community completes its consensus plan, let your voice be heard i=
n support of completing the transition.  We all have a stake in this t=
ransition and in ensuring the Internet remains an open, dynamic platform fo=
r economic and social progress. Decades ago, the academic community played =
a central role in the development of the Internet; now we need you to play =
an active role in its future.</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></=
p><p><span lang=3DEN style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-seri=
f'>Thank you for listening.</span><span lang=3DEN-US><o:p></o:p></span></p>=
:auto'><span lang=3DEN-US> <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal =
style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DE=
N-US> <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-margin-t=
op-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DEN-US>Joelle Tessler<o=
:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;m=
so-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DEN-US>Manager of Stakeholder Relati=
ons and Outreach<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-mar=
gin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DEN-US>National Te=
lecommunications and Information Administration<o:p></o:p></span></p><p cla=
ss=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'=
ss=3DMsoNormal style=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'=
nk">jtessler at ntia.doc.gov</a><o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal sty=
le=3D'mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto'><span lang=3DEN-U=
 class=3DMsoNormal><i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sa=
ns-serif'>Carolina Rossini </span></i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;f=
MsoNormal><i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;=
color:#666666'>Vice President, International Policy and Strategy </spa=
n></i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p><=
:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>Public Knowledge</span=
></b><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p></=
9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:blue'><a href=3D"http://www.publ=
icknowledge.org/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.publicknowledge.org/</a></sp=
an></u><span style=3D'font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p></o:p></span></p=
:"Arial",sans-serif'>+ 1 6176979389 | <span style=3D'color:#666666'>sk=
ype: carolrossini | </span><span style=3D'color:blue'>@carolinarossini=
te'><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p>&nb=
e'><i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'>Caroli=
na Rossini </span></i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Aria=
=3D'background:white'><i><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial"=
,sans-serif;color:#666666'>Vice President, International Policy</span></i><=
span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif'><o:p></o:p></=
n style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sans-serif;color:#666666'>Pu=
blic Knowledge</span></b><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial"=
'background:white'><u><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:"Arial",sa=
ns-serif;color:blue'><a href=3D"http://www.publicknowledge.org/" target=3D"=
rmal style=3D'background:white'><span style=3D'font-size:9.5pt;font-family:=
"Arial",sans-serif'>+ 1 6176979389 | <span style=3D'color:#666666'>sky=
pe: carolrossini | </span><span style=3D'color:blue'>@carolinarossini<=
html>=

------=_NextPart_000_081E_01D08283.41471AD0--