[bestbits] CS meeting at IGF Paris?

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at malcolm.id.au
Fri Nov 9 11:54:25 EST 2018

On 11/9/18 7:00 AM, farzaneh badii wrote:

> Just wanted to tell you why we are not having an organized CS
> gathering this year so that you can prevent it from happening next year.
>
> We used to have a civil society day arranged before the IGF. It did
> not happen this time because Jeremy (the initiator and cornerstone of
> these events)decided not to participate in this year and I was not
> sure whether I would make it either. Also IGF being cut
> short didn't help.
> We need a better approach for civil society pre-events. Perhaps we can
> shift the civil society meeting to pre-events for RightsCon
> or similar events. They can be shorter and not a full day.
>
> Anyhow, I think we should not drop the ball like this year because
> some of us could not make it or thought they could not.

To add to this, the bestbits.net domain name and website is available
for use for coordination. It has been paid for for five years but is
lying idle, and just needs someone else to take it up again. It won't be
me because I have moved on to focus on my new nonprofit, Prostasia
Foundation, but I am happy to take a limited role in transferring
control to others. At one point there was a new Best Bits steering
committee that had planned to revitalize it, but this didn't come to
pass and their term has now lapsed.

--
Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek