[bestbits] We Need to Fix the News Media, Not Just Social Media series

Michael J. Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:48:25 EST 2018

Hi Gus, all:

First, please forgive my somewhat belated reply. Second, thank you so much
for raising this critical subject concerning Internet governance. For the
past nine months, I've been the advisor on Internet governance for the
Global Forum on Media Development (GFMD) – a global network of 190
journalism support and media development organization. At IGF 2017, GFMD,
the Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA), ARTICLE 19, and
International Media Support (IMS) co-convened a working group meeting
focusing on issues that intersect both media development and Internet
governance, which led to this outcome: an issue paper
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hMclf0hz2PXa_VhOl7w2iRhFpvi-NZ0yeY2mJCN6QBA/edit?usp=sharing>
examining cross-cutting issues, where overlap between the two communities
occur, and recommendations.

This year, we are co-organizing a second edition, the Media Development and
Internet Governance Symposium 2018 (register here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/media-development-and-internet-governance-symposium-2018-tickets-51481544686>),
which will take place at the IGF venue from 14:00-18:00 on 12 November. We
cordially invite you to attend, and encourage any of your other colleagues
from Public Knowledge to join as well if this is an issue you'd like to
continue to explore in 2019. In case anyone else from this list is
interested, please register ASAP.

Again, thank you for addressing the issue more holistically.

Best,
-Michael