[bestbits] Urgent: support letter to our response to Council of Europe consultation on cross-border access to data

Maryant Fernandez Perez maryant.fernandez-perez at edri.org
Mon Jul 2 11:37:17 EDT 2018

(apologies for cross-posting and for the short notice)

Dear all,

After some of you expressed the lack of capacity to work on a
submission, EDRi, EFF, CIPPIC and 10 other NGOs submitted a joint
response to the Council of Europe's consultation [1] on the forthcoming
Second Protocol to the Cybercrime consultation. [2]

IFEX is coordinating a letter in support of our “Joint Civil Society
Response to Discussion Guide on Protocol to the Convention on
Cybercrime”. This letter is particularly relevant if you are one of the
nearly 100 organisations which supported a previous letter asking for
more inclusive participation of civil society and transparent process. [3]

The future Second protocol risks prioritising law enforcement needs to
access data over human rights law and case law, not reaching a good
balance. In order to avoid a race to the bottom in terms of human rights
protections, it's important that civil society is engaged.

*If you want to support the letter in attachment, please send an
e-mail to Matthew Hatfield <mhatfield at ifex.org> by 4 July 10pm CEST.*

Best regards,
Maryant

[1]