[bestbits] WGEC fails to give any recommendation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 1 10:11:58 EST 2018

The following is the initial political statement on the failure of the
WGEC to come up with any recommendation which has been developed on the
behalf of many civil society groups I work with. A more elaborate
collectively developed statement will follow.

STATEMENT BEGINS

    The UN CSTD Working Group On Enhanced Cooperation (on International
    public policies pertaining to the Internet) was tasked with
    developing institutional proposals towards appropriate global
    governance of the Internet, and the larger digital phenomenon. After
    five meeting over two years, it wound up yesterday, 31st January,
    without giving any recommendation.

    We are extremely disappointed at this continued abdication by the
    governments and the UN system of what is one of the most important
    public policy and governance requirements today. It will astonish
    ordinary people on the streets to know that the governments of the
    world and the UN think that all is well with the global Internet and
    the global digital phenomenon, and with its social, economic,
    political, social and cultural effects. And, that people should just
    get on with it with no need for any globally democratic development
    of norms, principles, polices and laws in this all important area.
    As one delegate put it succinctly at the Working Group meeting, to
    the effect, that we are kidding ourselves if we think that
    international law does not need to – and would not eventually – come
    to the Internet. Well, we do not think it is kidding though. It is
    all bare knuckle adult stuff, of protecting very narrow commercial
    and political interests, and letting the global public interest sink
    in the bargain.

    But let us beware, we would sink together if we do not develop means
    to float together. As the Internet/ digital becomes key of all our
    social structures, what provides us the means of collective floating
    (or non-sinking) are the appropriate and adequate global mechanisms
    for Internet’s governance in public interest. We seem to be just
    waiting for some catastrophic events to force us to begin doing what
    we must; which is never a sane course of action. We once again
    appeal to the leaders of the global community to abandon this
    dangerous and suicidal path of abdication. Let us contribute to
    building the required global political institutions for the fast
    emerging global digital society – which will ensure the rule of law,
    and people’s safety, happiness, prosperity, equity and social justice.

    The Working Group gathered all views – including through public
    comments – on various institutional responses that may be
    appropriate to meet the needs of global governance of the Internet/
    digital phenomenon. Some of these views, especially a common
    proposal by many members of the Working Group, present clear ways
    forward for setting up a new global institution for Internet’s
    governance. What is required now is political will, at the highest
    level, to take this proposal forward and implement it. This task is
    best suited for the UN General Assembly which should undertake a
    dedicated discussion on this subject, taking into account various
    institutional proposals that were submitted to and discussed by the
    Working Group.

    The G 77 group of developing countries already made a written
    initial proposal for a new institutional mechanism in 2014 during
    the preparatory process of the ten year review of the World Summit
    on the Information Society. In this statement it was agreed that the
    proposal will be further fleshed out in terms of specific details of
    such an institutional mechanism. The inputs to, and the
    deliberations of, the Working Group now provide enough material to
    undertake this task which should urgently be taken up by G 77, and
    other supporting countries, and a full proposal made in this regard
    to the UN General Assembly later this year.

for
IT for Change, and other civil society organisations

ENDS

Thanks, and best regards, parminder