[bestbits] Mobile network shutdown declared illegal in Pakistan

Nighat Dad nigidaad at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 01:40:48 EST 2018

Just received the message below from Advocate Umer Gillani who filed
​a​
 petition
​ against mobile network shutdowns​
 in Islamabad High Court.

"A bit of good news. Just an hour ago, the Islamabad High Court has allowed
the petitions filed by 4 public interest petitioners against mobile network
shutdowns. The shutdowns have been declared as illegal being contrary to
the provisions of Section 54 of the PTA Act which states that the
government can exercise this drastic power only when a Proclamation of
Emergency has been issued - which has happened only a couple of times in
our history. In all other circumstance, the shutdowns are illegal.

The ruling, being against PTA and Federal Government, would be applicable
all over Pakistan.

While we expect an appeal, this is nonetheless a great victory for digital
rights in the context of present day Pakistan.

The order was announced by Justice Ather Minallah today. We have applied
for a copy of the detailed judgment which should be . Once we have the
detailed judgment, it would be helpful to sit and discuss this"

Best,
Nighat Dad
Digital Rights Foundation