[bestbits] End of the year civil society meeting/ briefing

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at ymca.gm
Mon Dec 17 06:12:41 EST 2018

Thanks Farzaneh,

Much appreciated for sharing the outcome unfortunately I could not attend
due to maintenance on our Internet from our ISP at that time.  I look
forward to moving on with outline and contributing towards its success.

Kind Regards

Poncelet

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 10:56, Jean F. Quéralt <JFQueralt at theiofoundation.org>
wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> Thx Farzaneh for the briefing.
>
> Are we still looking into bringing Youth IGF to our activities as proposed
> at IGF 2018?
>
> Best,
> Jean
>

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 5:10 AM farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> We had a good online meeting with up to 25 civil society members in
>> attendance on 13 December. I have the recording I can share with you. (I
>> have asked if sharing the recording was ok with the participants there was
>> no objection, but I give it a couple of more days before I share the
>> recording)
>>
>> There was a brief overview of what was done during last year in venues
>> such as RightsCon etc.
>> The issues that were discussed (as much as I remember):
>>
>> We also discussed the merge of IGC and BestBits. It was decided that the
>> co-coordinator of BB and IGC discuss and give a couple of weeks deadline to
>> come to a conclusion on whether a merge would be good.
>>
>> the suggestion to merge comes from the fact that civil society IG
>> activities (especially at IGF) became fragmented. We need to pool our
>> resources and I think Jeremy mentioned that the reasons behind the creation
>> of BB are not around anymore. I believe we should make a decision on that
>> soon hopefully and start pooling our resources into one effort.
>>
>> The idea of mapping initiatives and focal points:
>> To keep things going and be more active in 2019, it would be good to map
>> initiatives (Collin Kurre from Article 19 has good ideas about that)
>>
>> I also suggested that we have focal points for each event or forum if we
>> want to for example organize a session or be more coordinated in our
>> efforts.
>>
>> I volunteered to help IGC with coordination for  IGF 2019, and civil
>> society pre-event. I will also help IGC with drafting something a public
>> comment for IGF taking stock call.
>>

>> Best
>>

>> Farzaneh

Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
Coordinator
The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
MDI Road Kanifing South
P. O. Box 421 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel: (220) 4370240