[bestbits] Final list of accepted IGF workshops

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:39:40 EDT 2018

Hi Sylvia

Sure. I will make some suggestions when I get the time. One suggestion
would be to adopt new evaluation processes and discard an over a decade old
assessment deliberation . The other is reducing the size of MAG, stronger
representation but with less people.

I disagree that MAG did not receive proposals that accorded with the issues
the public submitted. I see from a chart that 17 percent of the suggested
issues were about accessibility and digital inclusion, MAG raceived 13
percent of overall proposals with that regard and chose 32 percent ( almost
double) of All the workshops considering digital inclusivity and access. As
Someone from a developing country I Can't stop thinking that: policy issues
that affect rights to access such as content regulation are as important as
digital inclusion and sometimes even more important. You can have all the
infrastructure, diverse language...but then in the end someone keeps
removing your content. A bot, an AI tool etc.

Media and content, cybersecurity all were issues that were proposed,
workshops submitted about but MAG didn't take many of them into account.

Some of the trouble is the nature of collective work and difficult to carry
out. So I think we can't just keep criticizing but there needs to be
fundamental changes in MAG and IGF in general. Changes they have been
calling for since many years ago.

Yes I agree, IGF is about broad  public policy issues. Do I see that in
this program? I rarely come across workshops that discuss real policy
issues.

I hope some of these comments can be useful :)

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 11:50 PM Sylvia Cadena <sylvia at apnic.net> wrote:

> To be fair, RightsCon is a conference about “human rights in the digital
> age", so it is only logic that most if not all their program focuses on
> those issues, while the IGF mandate is broader focusing on “public policy
> issues relating to the Internet” so its program although it might include
> discussion around human rights and the Internet, it will also cover other
> topics.
>

> ---------
>

> Sylvia Cadena | APNIC Foundation - Head of Programs | sylvia at apnic.net |
> http://www.apnic.foundation
>
> ISIF Asia, WSIS Champion on International Cooperation 2018 |
> http://www.isif.asia | FB ISIF.asia | @ISIF_Asia | G+ ISIFAsia |
>
> 6 Cordelia Street, South Brisbane, QLD,  4101 Australia | PO Box 3646 |
> +10 GMT | skypeID: sylviacadena | Tel: +61 7 3858 3100 |  Fax: +61 7  3858
> 3199
>
> * Love trees. Print only if necessary.
>

> *From: *"bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net" <
> bestbits-request at lists.bestbits.net> on behalf of Daphne Keller <
> daphnek at law.stanford.edu>
> *Date: *Tuesday, 7 August 2018 at 6:45 am
> *To: *Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at malcolm.id.au>
> *Cc: *Bestbits <bestbits at lists.bestbits.net>
> *Subject: *Re: [bestbits] Final list of accepted IGF workshops
>

> Interesting divergence from the RightsCon calendar. It had a ton on
> Internet users' free expression rights and platforms, while IGF will have
> very little.
>

> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 10:45 AM Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at malcolm.id.au>
> wrote:
>
> The final list of IGF workshops selected for this year has just been
> posted online:
>

> https://www.intgovforum.org/multilingual/content/igf-2018-workshops-selection
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm PhD LLB (Hons) B Com
> Internet lawyer, ICT policy advocate, geek
> echo "9EEAi^^;6C6]>J^=^>6"|tr '\!-~' 'P-~\!-O'|wget -q -i - -O -

> Daphne Keller
>
> Director, Intermediary Liability
>
> Center for Internet and Society
>
> Stanford Law School