[bestbits] [UPDATE - time sensitive] Open CS letter to the ICDPPC: open for signatures until COB Monday 18 September

Sheetal Kumar sheetal at gp-digital.org
Wed Sep 27 06:38:37 EDT 2017

Dear all,

(With apologies for cross-posting)

I previously shared the joint civil society letter to the ICDPPC organisers
to the bestbits community (in the previous email below).

A group of us are now at the ICDPPC in Hong Kong. Having received some
statement, welcoming the responses and the positive steps taken so far but
also reiterating the points made in the letter.

We plan to take advantage of the ongoing Conference to present this
statement to the outgoing and incoming Executive Committees and to the
ICDPPC Secretariat. You can find the statement below:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/qjfjAhCwVfi7

We plan to present this on Friday AM Hong Kong time, before the close of
the Conference and welcome sign-ons until COB Thursday, 28 September. Note
the statement will remain open for signature past the 28 September deadline
but we strongly encourage sign on beforehand so that we can add the
signatures to the statement that will be presented during the Conference
itself. Should you have any trouble adding your organisational signature,
please let me know.

In case you can't access the letter please find it below in full below the
dotted line.
*DRAFT JOINT PRESS RELEASE/STATEMENT*

*Joint global civil society statement on the International Conference of
Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners*

To the outgoing and incoming Executive Committees of the ICDPPC

*Hong Kong *– Ahead of the 2017 International Conference of Data Protection
and Privacy Commissioners (ICDPPC) held in Hong Kong between September 25
to 29, a group of more than 30 civil society organisations sent a letter to
the organisers and data protection authorities calling for greater
inclusion of NGOs in the event.

We acknowledge the positive steps forward, taken during the Hong Kong
conference, in particular by lifting the participation fee for several
civil society groups. As a result, this year's conference has already
acknowledged the value of civil society participation and active dialogue
with data protection authorities.

Despite these improvements, civil society continues to be kept at the
periphery of the event, absent from the programming committee and
underrepresented at public sessions. To that effect we call on the
Executive Committee to:

    1. Include civil society in the Programme Committee to guarantee civil
society representation in developing the agenda
    2. Promote diversity and inclusion through public consultations
    3. Restore space and visibility for civil society speakers at the
sessions. This includes the restoration of the full day joint civil
society-DPA event in the official programme and ensuring a civil society
representative is included when non-members of the ICDPPC are part of the
deliberations which lead to the official outcomes
    4. Enhance civil society participation and meaningful dialogue by
removing the access fee and providing travel support for civil society
representatives
    5. Increase transparency of the event sessions and deliberations
through remote participation and publication of draft resolutions

We look forward to cooperation with the incoming Secretariat, Executive
Committee and hosts of the upcoming Conference in 2018.

--

*Sheetal Kumar*
Programme Lead | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL