[bestbits] Spain/Catalunya Developments. Scary

Gus Rossi gus at publicknowledge.org
Wed Sep 20 14:43:02 EDT 2017

Article 155 of the Spanish Constitution establishes a mechanism for the
intervention of a region (Comunidad Autonoma) that requires approval by the
Senate after the President of the Spanish Government asks the President of
the Comunidad Autonoma for redress (
http://www.congreso.es/consti/constitucion/indice/titulos/articulos.jsp?ini=155&tipo=2).
Point here being: there is a Constitutional mechanism to do what the
Spanish executive is doing through the action of the judiciary that
involves and includes the opinion of the Parliament. In my opinion, this is
a case that should include the voice of the Parliament.

But in addition, the Spanish President said today: "The Government is doing
what it has to do" (
http://www.lavanguardia.com/politica/20170920/431423116122/cronologia-20s-inflexion-referendum-1-o.html
).

So no Ayden, I think it is correct to talk about Spanish government.

----
# # #
# • #
# #

*Gus Rossi*
Global Policy Director (202) 861-0020 (x123) | (202) 651 1337
<(202)%651-1337> (mobile) | @agustinrs <https://twitter.com/agustinrs>
*Public Knowledge* | @publicknowledge <https://twitter.com/publicknowledge>
 | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036 | CFC 12259

*The IP3 Awards are September 28th!* RSVP at publicknowledge.org/IP32017.