[bestbits] Crowdfunded journalism agency - Choose the news topic at Publica, Brazil

Renata Aquino Ribeiro raquino at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:23:05 EDT 2017

Hi

Forwarding the crowdfunding campaign of journalism agency Publica
This edition of the campaign ends 27OCT

Publica news agency has done great investigative pieces on internet
governance related topics such as Wikileaks

Crowdfunders get to choose the news topic of the month from a row of suggestions

Get to know more about this work and contribute if you want here

https://www.catarse.me/reportagempublica2017

Best,

Renata

----------------

The internet is full of news, commentary and opinion. There are many
websites out there. But there is a lack of investigative journalism –
the kind that digs up documents, accusations and crimes that are
hidden from view.

In the midst of so much information, you can only find the truth if
you investigate. That's what we do at Agência Pública.

By supporting our campaign, Pública Reports, you get to decide what
stories our team should investigate each month. Be a part of it!

WHO ARE WE?

Agência Pública is a non-profit organization founded and run by women.

We conduct investigations into subjects related to transparency and
human rights. Our reports are published by more than 70 publications,
both in Brazil and abroad – from large portals to blogs and
independent websites.

In our six-year history, we have won 29 awards. In 2016, we won the
third most journalism awards in the country, behind only two outlets
owned by Globo, the largest and most influential media company in
Brazil.

As well as our day-to-day reporting, we also:

- Went to Africa in 2015 to investigate the activities of Brazilian
mining giant Vale in Mozambique and construction firm Odebrecht in
Angola (the resulting series was a finalist for a prize from the Inter
American Press Association).

- Went to the Complex of the Divine Eternal Father in the Amazon state
of Pará in 2016 to investigate a violent land conflict between
ranchers and peasants. After the article was published, the National
Institute of Colonization and Agrarian Reform (INCRA) obtained a
repossession order that confirmed the area as public land.

- And we also proved how business lobbies had supported the
impeachment of president Dilma Rousseff, in an unprecedented analysis
100% financed by Pública!

With your help we can dig even deeper.

HOW DOES PÚBLICA REPORTS WORK?

Everyone who donates gets a seat on our Editorial Advisory Board.
Starting from November, you will be able to decide which stories
Agência Pública will investigate from month to month. In total, eight
investigative reports will be funded!

Every month our reporters will propose three investigations on current
topics and our donors will vote through a poll sent via email.

From then on, it will be time for our reporters to hit the road. We
will investigate accusations against the government, abuses of power
and human rights violations.

All of our reports can be republished for free by websites,
newspapers, magazines, blogs or anyone else who would like to do so!
This is part of our strategy for stories funded by the public to reach
as many people as possible.

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO INVESTIGATE?

If the project began today, we could dedicate ourselves, for example,
to mapping the most powerful fake news factories in the country; the
advance of mining on indigenous lands; or cases of corruption in the
judiciary.

There are many subjects that our reporters want to investigate, but
they will only be a reality if you become a part of it and contribute
to Pública Reports!

WHY IS PÚBLICA REPORTS SO IMPORTANT?

This project is a means to build a community that mobilizes and
incentivizes us. Pública Reports is Pública’s partnership with our
readers.

This is the third edition of this project, which has already yielded
24 reports funded by 1,738 supporters. The first was in 2013 and the
second was in 2015. In addition to having an impact in real life,
reports funded by the public have won six national and international
awards.

With your vote, we can make more urgently-needed reports on the topics
that readers want. Without intermediaries. Without sponsors. Without
advertisers. Without any master at all.

You vote, Pública investigates.

I WANT TO SUPPORT YOU! WHAT DO I DO?

Simple! Choose an amount from the list and contribute.

In return, you join our Editorial Advisory Board, support Pública’s
investigative work, tell us what we're going to investigate, and also
receive rewards!

HOW WILL THE MONEY BE SPENT?

We will use the money to finance eight investigative reports,
beginning in November. This includes general costs, travel expenses
and paying the reporter.