[bestbits] On the future of Best Bits and the pre-IGF meeting

Gus Rossi gus at publicknowledge.org
Wed Jul 26 14:25:06 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the initiative Jeremy.

I'm newer than many of you in this list, but I have some second-hand
knowledge and PK has been a member for long.

I think there is a middle ground between options 1 and 2. We can make the
effort to meet in the different events that already exist and that many of
us attend (like IGF, LACIGF, or RightsCon) and use those gatherings to
coordinate strategy on specific issues. That would give us the opportunity
to identify which are moments or issues on which we want to have common
action. For example, I think that bestbits is going to be really useful for
Plenipot 2018. I think that it is easier to coordinate through action, that
to coordinate to have action.

So, we could start with the LACIGF. I will be attending, anyone else from
bestbits going?

Those are my two-cents.

----
# # #
# • #
# #

*Gus Rossi*
Global Policy Director (202) 861-0020 (x123) | (202) 651 1337
<(202)%651-1337> (mobile) | @agustinrs <https://twitter.com/agustinrs>
*Public Knowledge* | @publicknowledge <https://twitter.com/publicknowledge>
 | www.publicknowledge.org
1818 N St. NW, Suite 410 | Washington, DC 20036 | CFC 12259

*The IP3 Awards are September 28th!* RSVP at publicknowledge.org/IP32017.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Sheetal Kumar <sheetal at gp-digital.org>
wrote:

> [...]
> Via a strategy? And if so, how would that be developed/buy-in for that be
> achieved?/who or how would the leadership for that to happen be provided?
>
> Again, I really welcome this discussion and opportunity to reflect on how
> we can leverage the existing strengths & successes of this platform in the
> future. Interested in hearing others thoughts!
>
> Best
>
> Sheetal.
>
> On 26 July 2017 at 13:16, Judith Hellerstein <judith at jhellerstein.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>> I concur with Renata and Poncelet and choose Option 2.  I also agree with
>> Michael but I agree that we are duplicating resources but not sure anything
>> can be done about this as each group has different views and I think people
>> have tried and failed to put the two together but it has not worked.
>> However, the steering group can help focus the mission of the group more
>> and differentiate it from the other groups
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Judith

>> Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
>> Hellerstein & Associates
>> 3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
>> Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
>> Mobile/Whats app: +1202-333-6517 <(202)%20333-6517>
>> E-mail: Judith at jhellerstein.com   Website: www.jhellerstein.com
>> Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
>> Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide
>>

>> On 7/26/2017 7:29 AM, Michael Oghia wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks for this Jeremy and your work with the group. While I prefer
>> option 2 in general, I must admit that I am slightly confused at times
>> about which group is best for what -- for instance, if there's a civil
>> society-related link, should it be sent to this list, the IG Caucus list,
>> CSCG list, or another?
>>
>> While the example is seemingly trivial, the point is that it seems that
>> there is a lot of unnecessary overlap in these resources, so perhaps a bit
>> more centralization would be helpful (as far as the lists are concerned at
>> least, not necessarily the leadership). If we go with option 2, then I also
>> suggest we think about focusing the mission/mandate of this group, and also
>> differentiating it from the other civil society-focused IG groups.
>>
>> Best,
>> -Michael
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Poncelet Ileleji <pileleji at ymca.gm>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jeremy,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your email, I definitely concur and support Renata and will
>>> go with Option #2, I look forward too in working with others towards this
>>> process.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>>
>>> Poncelet

>>> --
>>> Poncelet O. Ileleji MBCS
>>> Coordinator
>>> The Gambia YMCAs Computer Training Centre & Digital Studio
>>> Fax:(220) 4390793 <(220)%20439-0793>