[bestbits] Fwd: Re: Funding info for CfA

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jul 17 00:46:54 EDT 2017

On Sunday 16 July 2017 07:08 PM, James Gannon wrote:
> Well they are not really.
> They are a single subject lobbying/PR firm.

That is completely untrue. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_for_Accountability for the range
of work they have done. And then is the Washington Post and Wall Street
Journal also lobbying firms??

But you have evidently chosen to discredit the messenger to not address
the message.

The real tragedy lies somewhere else: This one is supposed to be a civil
society group. I distinctly remember that the decision was taken early
on that this is a civil society only group -- that too inclined more
towards responsible, rather better organised civil society. But what we
have here is reps of big business tear apart credible information on
mis-doings of digital big business, when civil society actors want to
share some information, and hope for a public interest discussion on it.
And there is not much civil society voice coming out on the issue -
certainly not enough. Big business actually is able to out shout civil
society, on a civil society list. This is the bane of civil society
engage with Internet/ digital policy issues .

But then civil society leaders have largely brought it on themselves. It
is time we revisit the state of Internet/ digital civil society. This
specially when not only political and civil rights issues (where
sometimes genuine sometimes fake alliances with big businesses were at
times possible, and even prudent) but very strong social and economic
rights issues have come to fore in this area, where big corporate in the
key "other". It is tragic that civil society does its work in the name
of the world's people but is not ready to do what is needed to advocate
and fight for the true interests of the vast majority of them, which are
disadvantaged in various ways.

parminder