[bestbits] Accountability group puts Google in same league as big oil and big tobacco

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jul 16 09:25:01 EDT 2017

On Thursday 13 July 2017 11:38 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> But here's an article putting the other side of the story:
>
> http://www.chronicle.com/article/Scholars-Cry-Foul-at-Their/240635
>
> We place Google Policy Fellows at EFF, too.  Does that mean that
> whatever work they do for the rest of their careers is tainted by the
> few thousand they received to support their living expenses as an EFF
> fellow?

I do not think so. But a huge amount of transparency must attend what
these fellows work on, who sets their agenda, who shapes, vets, etc
their outputs, and so on?

Since you share EEF's experience with google fellows, let me ask you a
direct question. A few NGOs where Google placed its fellows have told me
in the past that Google closely vets final outcomes of any research from
these fellows. Is it true by your experience/ knowledge?

Meanwhile here is an old Washington Post's report of Google's funding
related malfeasance, of pretty serious kind, including manipulating
conferences, and influencing research and general thinktank outputs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/how-google-is-transforming-power-and-politicsgoogle-once-disdainful-of-lobbying-now-a-master-of-washington-influence/2014/04/12/51648b92-b4d3-11e3-8cb6-284052554d74_story.html?utm_term=.fe86b3250d50

Not all these reports can be biased....

They had the following to say about google fellows (quoted without
prejudice, since we are on the topic)

        Google “fellows” — young lawyers, writers and thinkers paid by
        the company — populate elite think tanks such as the Cato
        Institute, the Competitive Enterprise Institute and the New
        America Foundation.

        To critics, Google’s investments have effectively shifted the
        national discussion away from Internet policy questions that
        could affect the company’s business practices. Groups that might
        ordinarily challenge the policies and practices of a major
        corporation are holding their fire, those critics say.

 Thanks, parminder