[bestbits] [governance] Second WGEC meeting26-27 January 2017, Geneva

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jan 30 12:21:57 EST 2017

In the first meeting of the WGEC, in Sept 2016, the group simply came up
with two questions, one was about what are the high level
characteristics of "enhanced cooperation" and second asking what kind of
recommendations the group can come up with. The second meeting last week
looked into the responses and discussed them.

The responses about the kind of recommendations that WGEC can come up
with ranged from (1) seeking a new UN based mechanism/ body for
developing Internet related public policies, to (2) hinting on some
looser coordination mechanisms among many agencies that deal with some
Internet related public policies issues, to (3) arguing that all that is
needed is to develop some required qualities, like transparency,
accountability, etc for bodies which already do various kinds of policy
work in this area.

Hopefully, as argued in my previous email, if we can indeed pull
ourselves out of many age old confusions and inappropriate conflations
in this area, this above takes us to the core of the issue. I understand
that there a few possible positions different actors can take on this
matter, but one should if possible commit to one or the other, and come
out with clear institutional mechanism corresponding to that position
(unless of course none is intended, which should be clearly stated). We
have spent too much time in this morass, and going forward with greater
clarity and responsibility would be highly desirable. We owe it to the
world, which is being deeply impacted by the Internet phenomenon, which
keep raising important and urgent public policy issues that beg to be
addressed.

I see the following possible positions in this matter.

1. No international Internet related public policies are required.

2. Even if they are required, different global bodies are already
dealing with then adequately. In this regard either nothing more needs
to be done, or, the WGEC can simply develop a series of desirable
qualities or characteristics that all such institution/ processes must
posses. Those holding such a view should, at this stage, come up with a
precise method or mechanism they will like to follow to ensure that
existing mechanisms/ processes do show such desired qualities, or at
least how to persuade them to move in such a direction.

3. What is needed is some kind of a relatively loose coordination
mechanism among the existing bodies etc dealing with Internet related
international public policies. Those with such a view should come up
with the precise mechanism that they have in mind for such coordination
-- how does it work, where is it located, and so on.

4. A new committed institutional mechanism - in form of a new body/
agency - is needed for international internet-related public policies.
Those with this view should give clear and precise proposals in this
regard, where would such body be located, would it be a new one or a
modified existing one, what would be its processes of taking in public
inputs/ advices etc, what would be its relationship with the IGF, and so on.

What I am tying to stress is that we need to be clear that this stage
about what kind of global IG institutional architecture we want to see,
especially in terms of international public policy processes, and come
up with clear and precise institutional recommendations in this regard,
with all the needed details.

The above are some general categories with regard to possible positions
on EC (enhanced cooperation). But we have seen some more specific
proposals, or more appropriately hints or outlines of them. I would
encourage those who have mentioned them to detail out what exactly is
that they have in mind, how would it work etc. for instance, many have
said here that an EC mechanism could be an extension of, under the
umbrella of, or laterally conjoined with, the IGF process, taking place
along with it. It will be useful to make a fully develop proposal ut of
it, complete with the essential details. Some others hinted on the
possibility of an EC mechanism under the Commission on Science and
Technology for Development (CSTD). Similar elaboration would be useful
in this case. Those who want a whole new relatively independent
mechanism should similarly detail it out, as for instance my
organisation has been doing for quite some time now. We again submitted
it <http://unctad.org/meetings/en/Contribution/WGEC2016_m2_c15_en.pdf>
to the WGEC in response to the questionnaire.

parminder