[bestbits] [governance] Cameroon Shuts down the Internet

Deji Bryce Olukotun deji at accessnow.org
Thu Jan 26 09:36:58 EST 2017

Thank you, Arsène for the introduction and the summary.

Judith, as Arsène explained, the #KeepitOn coalition
<http://accessnow.org/keepiton> (111 organizations from 51 countries) is
pushing back against the shutdown. Our efforts are being led by Julie Owono
from Internet Without Borders
<http://internetwithoutborders.org/fr/regional-internet-blackout-in-cameroon/>
.

At present, we are fighting the shutdown in several ways:
- open letter to government officials and agencies to restore access
- media outreach
- Tweet action at Cameroonian officials
<https://act.accessnow.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1921&ea.campaign.id=62870&ea.tracking.id=tile>
(please support!)
- outreach to telcos operating in the country, including a statement from
the Global Network Initiative
<http://globalnetworkinitiative.org/news/gni-concerned-about-restrictions-internet-access-cameroon>
(Microsoft,
Google, Facebook, Investors, academics)
- outreach to international officials at the UN and AU
- coordination with local groups in Cameroon
- coordinating with CDN's and other measurement entities

We welcome any ideas or suggestions about how to get the internet turned
back on. With each passing day, people are at increased risk of human
rights violations and the economy is losing money. We'll reach out to ISOC
to coordinate as well.

Best,
Deji

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Arsène Tungali <arsenebaguma at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Judith,
>
> Thanks for sharing this with us. What's going on in Cameroon is just a
> shame. For colleagues who have never experienced Internet shutdown, please
> understand that it is a nightmare.
>
> On this note about Cameroon, several organizations including Access Now
> and Internet Without Borders
> <http://internetwithoutborders.org/fr/regional-internet-blackout-in-cameroon/>are
> doing a lot of advocacy and statements
> <https://act.accessnow.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1921&ea.campaign.id=62870&ea.tracking.id=Email&ea.url.id=836199>,
> letters have been sent to officials in Cameroon to ask them to bring back
> the Internet. A hashtag about this has been started and you can take action
> as well: #BringBackkOutInternet
> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/BringBackOurInternet?src=hash>.
>
> You can learn more about the #KeepItOn
> <https://twitter.com/hashtag/KeepItOn?src=hash> campaign here
> <https://www.accessnow.org/keepiton>.
>
> Eduard Snowden sent in a tweet
> <https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/824312606596988933> where he said: "*This
> is the future of repression. If we do not fight it there, it will happen
> here*" and I cannot agree more with him because it is just going from one
> country to another. Over 8 countries in Africa, including mine the DRC,
> have experienced shutdown and no one knows who is next. Acces Now has
> reported <https://www.accessnow.org/keepiton>15 Internet shutdowns across
> the world in 2015 and 56 in 2016
>
> If there is any question about all the statements and campaigns, I am
> happy to help or convey your questions since I am involved, on a personal
> capacity, in these movements advocating and fighting Internet shutdowns
> across Africa.
>
> Regards,
> Arsene
>
> PS: Copied is Deji Olukotun who works on Advocacy for Access Now.
>

> ------------------------
> **Arsène Tungali**
> Co-Founder & Executive Director, *Rudi international
> <http://www.rudiinternational.org>*,
> CEO,* Smart Services Sarl <http://www.smart-serv.info>*, *Mabingwa Forum
> <http://www.mabingwa-forum.com>*
> Tel: +243 993810967 <+243%20993%20810%20967>
> GPG: 523644A0
> *Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo*
>
> 2015 Mandela Washington Felllow
> <http://tungali.blogspot.com/2015/06/selected-for-2015-mandela-washington.html>
> (YALI) - ISOC Ambassador (IGF Brazil
> <http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/igf-ambassadors-programme/Past-Ambassadors>
> & Mexico
> <http://www.internetsociety.org/what-we-do/education-and-leadership-programmes/next-generation-leaders/Current-Ambassadors>)
> - AFRISIG 2016 <http://afrisig.org/afrisig-2016/class-of-2016/> - Blogger
> <http://tungali.blogspot.com> - ICANN Fellow (Los Angeles
> <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-07-18-en> & Marrakech
> [...]

Deji Bryce Olukotun
Senior Global Advocacy Manager
Access Now | accessnow.org

tel: +1 415-935-4572 | @dejiridoo
PGP: 0x6012CDA8
Fingerprint: 3AEE 4194 F70E C806 A810 857A 6AD5 8F48 6012 CDA8

*Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter on digital rights, the Access Now
Express: *https://www.accessnow.org/campaign/#sign-up