[bestbits] Autopsy or blueprint?: New TPP case study for Advocacy Bytes

Sheetal Kumar sheetal at gp-digital.org
Tue Feb 7 11:06:57 EST 2017

Dear all,

Just over two weeks ago, President Trump signed an executive order to
withdraw the US from the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP), sounding the last
rites for this controversial multilateral trade agreement. The TPP, with
its wide implications for global e-commerce and intellectual property,
among other internet-related policy issues, had attracted widespread
criticism from internet freedom advocates and activists and civil society
more generally.

Today, we're publishing the third entry in our civil society experience
bank, Advocacy Bytes <http://www.gp-digital.org/series/advocacy-bytes/>. It
records the challenges faced – and lessons learned – by digital rights
groups engaging in the TPP negotiations. Even though TPP itself is
(probably) dead, we hope the case study will serve as a valuable and useful
tool for human rights defenders engaging in closed, secretive spaces;
offering lessons and guidance applicable far beyond the domain of trade
negotiations.

The text was authored by Austin Ruckstuhl (cc'd) on the basis of academic
research and observations. A special thanks also goes to Jeremy Malcolm
(EFF) and Burcu Kilic (Public Citizen) who provided feedback.

*You can read: *
The case study here:
http://www.gp-digital.org/series/advocacy-bytes/the-trans-pacific-partnership-tpp/
The blog post which introduces it here:
http://www.gp-digital.org/autopsy-or-blueprint-our-new-tpp-case-study-for-advocacy-bytes/

<http://www.gp-digital.org/autopsy-or-blueprint-our-new-tpp-case-study-for-advocacy-bytes/>

*A bit more about Advocacy Bytes...*
Advocacy Bytes <http://www.gp-digital.org/series/advocacy-bytes/> is a
civil society experience bank. It records specific case studies of civil
society engagement in internet-related forums, processes, spaces and
negotiations, with the aim of supporting and informing more strategic and
effective civil society engagement in the future. In June last year, we
launched the series with the first case-study on the ITU Plenipot
<http://www.gp-digital.org/series/advocacy-bytes/itu-plenipotentiary-conference/>
(2014). The second, covering the WSIS+10 Review process
<http://www.gp-digital.org/series/advocacy-bytes/the-wsis10-review/>
(2015), was published in December 2016.

We'd love to know what you think of the latest case study – and the series
more generally – so do please get in touch if you have any questions or
feedback. And we're always looking for new forums and processes to explore
in the series. If you've recently engaged in a process or forum and would
like to share your experience, let us know – we'd love to work with you.

Best,
Sheetal.
--

*Sheetal Kumar*
Programme Lead | GLOBAL PARTNERS DIGITAL