[bestbits] [Chapter-delegates] Privacy : Why are private business operators empowered to insist on biometrics?

Onica Makwakwa onica.makwakwa at webfoundation.org
Tue Dec 5 08:31:33 EST 2017

This seems to be a growing trend. In Nigeria, all operators require a
national ID (or passport) and they take fingerprint and picture to register
sim cards. It may be interesting to know how data protection policies in
markets that require this have been updated/adjusted to ensure privacy and
protection of data. Especially since sim registration is sometimes used to
enable entrepreneurs and/or small SME's who resell sim cards, airtime/data
and therefore may not be directly employed by the MNO.

Onica

Onica N. Makwakwa
Africa Regional Coordinator, Alliance for Affordable Internet (A4AI)
+27 63 237 3050 (South Africa)
Skype: afrodivaonline

*World Wide Web Foundation | **1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
DC 20005, USA | **www.webfoundation.org* <http://www.webfoundation.org/>* |
Twitter: @webfoundation*