[bestbits] Request of information: public wifi and personal data protection

rafaelzanatta at usp.br rafaelzanatta at usp.br
Tue Aug 1 18:11:52 EDT 2017

Dear members of BestBits list,

I'm not sure if you know about this, but the new mayor of São Paulo (João Dória) wants to change the rules of the public policy that sustains open and free Wi-Fi access in squares and public spaces. His plan is to monetize over the metadata and personal data of those citizens that access the "open wifi". The plan has been heavily critized by digital rights activists (see here and here) . Now the City Hall has opened a public consultation about the rules of the partnership with the private sector.

We need urgently some good examples of other cities that implemented partnerships with the private sector and respected privacy and personal data protection.

If you have some materials (official documents or papers that explains the personal data protection policies in such open wi-fi initiatives), can you please send me?

Thanks for your attention.

Rafael Zanatta
Instituto Brasileiro de Defesa do Consumidor
Coalizão Direitos na Rede