[bestbits] Brussels Principles on Medication Sales over the Internet

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Tue Aug 1 13:34:43 EDT 2017

Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> [2017-07-24 16:04:00 -0700]:
> I would like to draw everyone's attention to the Brussels Principles on
> Medication Sales over the Internet, a document that came out of a
> RightsCon workshop that I was involved with.  It is about balancing the
> needs for affordability, accessibility and safety of medicines that are
> sold online.  I have personally endorsed the petition, even though EFF
> isn't able to do so because it goes too far outside our issue areas.
> Nevertheless I thought that I should bring it to attention of Best Bits
> participants because I'm sure some others of you might wish to endorse
> or circulate it:

Thank you very much for passing this on.

> https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/brussels-principles-medication-over-the-net

The principles seem sensible.  There's just one phrase that leaves me a
bit concerned: "counterfeit and falsified medication".  The terminology
that the WHO has adopted is "substandard and falsified", because the
older terminology of
"substandard/spurious/falsely-labelled/falsified/counterfeit" was
confusing (since "counterfeit" has a patent- and trademark-related
meaning as well).

> If you are interested I can also put you in touch with the other authors
> of the document so that you can get more information or become involved
> in related activities.
I'd be grateful if you could pass on this one note
(s/counterfeit/substandard/) to the authors of the document.

Regards,
Pranesh

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh