[bestbits] New EFF project on Shadow Regulation with "dummies guide" infographic on multi-stakeholder model

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Sep 30 18:05:56 EDT 2016

Some of you may find this interesting.  Most people don't understand
what multi-stakeholder processes are meant to achieve, because the
phrase "multi-stakeholder" is misused so much and because there is so
much variation between purportedly multi-stakeholder processes.

At the Best Bits meeting last year, I presented a paper that I'd written
which attempted to define a normative ideal of multi-stakeholderism
based on a set of simple criteria.[0]  But even that paper wasn't simple
enough that ordinary people would read it, so I've distilled it still
further and filtered it through EFF and here is the result:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/09/fair-processes-better-outcomes

We'll now be using this to critique processes that don't come up to
snuff, and we hope that others may adopt and use the infographic too.
Comments welcome.

[0]
https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/criteria-meaningful-stakeholder-inclusion-internet-governance

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD