[bestbits] Internet Shutdowns

Mishi Choudhary mishi at softwarefreedom.org
Fri Sep 30 15:29:40 EDT 2016

I am aware that its early for IGF but I would really like to get the
benefit of people's experience on this list. We are organizing a panel
on "Analyzing the causes and impacts of Internet shutdowns."

SFLC.in has been tracking website take down for over 5 years and
Internet shutdowns in India for last 3 years. Since 2013, there have
been 32 times internet has been shutdown in different states of the
country, 12 times in 2016 itself. You can find more information at
http://sflc.in/internet-shutdown-tracker-india-2013-2016/

India has seen numerous Internet shutdowns for various reasons in this
year, all under the same provision of law – Section 144 of the Code of
Criminal Procedure, 1973 (CrPC). This section resides as the sole
occupant under the chapter of ‘temporary measures to maintain public
tranquility’ and gives State Governments the power to issue orders for
immediate remedy in urgent cases of nuisance or apprehended danger.
However, the increasing use of this provision to completely shut down
the Internet is becoming a cause of concern, for the reason that it
amounts to a direct violation of the fundamental right to freedom of
speech guaranteed under Article 19(1)(a) of the Constitution of India.

You are most likely aware of the July 1 resolution passed by the Human
Rights Council condemning these network disruptions for stifling of
freedom of expression. Are there issues, questions that people think
should be highlighted in our discussion? We will have some great people
to discuss the issue, some of you are on this list. Is there anyone who
would like to be included? Any other suggestions are deeply appreciated.

--
Warm Regards
Mishi Choudhary, Esq.

President and Executive Director
SFLC.IN
K-9, Second Floor, Jangpura Extn.| New Delhi-110014
Main: +91-11-43587126 | Fax: +91-11-24323530
www.sflc.in

The information contained in this email message is intended only for use
of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
immediately notify us by email, help at softwarefreedom.org, and destroy
the original message.