[bestbits] Fwd: Is the Internet Really Free of US Control?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Oct 22 11:52:07 EDT 2016

Ayden, Thanks for your comments. My responses are below.

On Tuesday 18 October 2016 09:38 PM, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. I agree that it is
> appropriate and necessary to critically examine the IANA stewardship
> transition. I have read a number of articles documenting legitimate
> criticisms of the transition from different stakeholder groups.
> Nonetheless, I have not heard anyone say that the better solution
> would have been for ICANN not to become more accountable, not to let
> the stewardship of the IANA functions transition from the NTIA to the
> multistakeholder community.

I do not fully understand your last statement, esp what you are implying
by it. Please clarify. (BTW, you may know that ICANN board had clearly
said that the MS community you refer to is *not* representative of the
global public -- this when there was a proposal for a membership based
ICANN organisational model, which was rejected by ICANN/ US, even when
the 'MS community' wanted that. So, firstly there was no real community
based decision making process in the IANA transition, and secondly,
there is a big question on the representativeness of  the so called
'community' . I am open to be corrected on these points.)

> But let’s leave that aside for a moment. There is something in your
> article that I wanted to pick up upon, and I think it's important. You
> mention the delegation of .xxx and say it is being challenged in US
> courts for “for allegedly violating competition law.” Okay… Can you
> please explain to me your problem with this? .xxx is operated by ICM
> Registry, a company incorporated in the United States. If ICM has
> violated US antitrust laws, it is subject to the US legal system
> because ICM is incorporated in the United States, not because ICANN is
> headquartered in the United States.

I have no problem with .xxx as a US company being subject to US law, and
being forced to act or not act in particular ways by a US court.... But
if you read about the case you will see that ICANN is also sued, with
three called for causes of action against it.. This is what I am against
-- a US court should not be able to force ICANN's hand, in terms of its
policies and their implementation, which are of a global nature.

> Likewise, for your example of the generic drugs company, if they’re
> infringing upon someone else’s IP, I’m sure they’ll be sued in
> whatever jurisdiction the registry for “.genericdrugs” can be located
> within.

If, as in my example, .genericdrug is a private closed gTLD, the
registry is almost certainly to be in the country of incorporation of
the company .generic drug... So, there is nothing wrong with this
company being sued in the jurisdiction of its incorporation. As for "
infringing upon someone's else's IP" you must recognise that US laws on
this are often different, and more stringent, that many other countries.
And US and its allies are found to pushing their laws on to the rest of
the world, even when the two parties to a transacntion are both outside
these countries. See
http://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/dutch-customs-seize-indian-drugs-in-transit-industry-frets-112012300081_1.html

> It doesn’t stand to reason to me that a dispute between two private
> parties, one of which is not based in and does not do business in the
> United States, is going to be resolved in a US court.

Firstly, I am talking not of private party disputes, but application of
public law, where the state is a party, as also in intellectual property
law. Second, I did not understand why you are saying is either party has
no interest in a country, that country wont take up the case.... It
will, if the other party has a good enough interest.

> Let’s inverse the scenario. Say ICANN was headquartered in India. A
> generic American drugs company operates “.genericdrugs” and is sued
> by, say, a Spanish competitor. Would they really file the lawsuit in
> India? Or would they file it in the United States, where the drugs
> company has its assets?

The equivalence would be not a Spanish plaintiff but an Indian one (as
in my example, is will mostly be US pharma business) -- as to where they
will sue, they will wherever they can have effective instrument of
enforcement - which could be where drug company has physical assets, or
digital assets (a gTLD)....  So, if we replace Spanish plaintiff by
Indian, yes, the Indian company will try and sue in India taking benefit
of the leverage that the US company's digital asset in India - the gTLD
- provides, and expecting the Indian court/ law to be more sympathetic
to its cause, than of the US company...

> I think it is useful to remember what the IANA transition was all
> about. It was about empowering the global, multistakeholder community
> to oversee the activities carried out by ICANN. It was not about
> making sure ICANN was not subject to US law.

That is your interpretation. The widely endorsed NetMundial statement
says it was about ICANN becoming a "truly global and international
organisation". With that I clearly judge not being subject to one
country's laws, courts, legislature and executive agencies. I cannot see
the term 'truly global and international; in less than that meaning.

> Finally, maybe it's the realist in me,

Dont take it personally, but status quo always presents the argument of
realism - has it ever been not so in history, but still how history is
full of positive changes......

> but I’d like to note that attempting to get “jurisdictional immunities
> as available to other global governance bodies like those of the UN”
> (to quote your article) sounds very time consuming and highly resource
> intensive.
Ok, if you are serious, let me give you an easy route... There is
this_United States International Organisations Immunities Act  __
<https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/annex9.pdf>_A US presidential decree
can make any organisation have the status of an international
organisation and qualify for immunity under it. and this includes
organisations that are not incoporated under international law. For
instance,/International Fertilizer and Development Center (IFDC) /was
first established as a private, nonprofit corporation under the laws of
the State of Alabama. However, in March 1977, IFDC was designated as a
public, nonprofit, international organisation by US Presidential Decree
11977, and granted immunities under _United States International
Organisations Immunities Act
<https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/annex9.pdf>_. See
_https://archive.icann.org/en/psc/corell-24aug06.html_

Why cant ICANN similarily be given jurisdictional immunity? I would very
much like to hear your and others' comments on this. Thanks.

> I am just trying to think how we might go about that? So we’d need
> 160+ sovereign states to sign an international treaty?

Yes, every time a treaty is made, 160 + states do it. And they do it
often. Just last week they did one to phase out an important greenhouse
gas.  (ICANN jurisdiction issue on the other hand has been hanging for
at least 13 years, and for 13 years people have been saying how will 160
+ countires ever do a treaty - but since then they have done many of them)

> You want established a “special digital bench of the International
> Court of Justice” and new “international laws”? And we – the
> multistakeholder community – would write them?

No, I can never think of allowing big business to sit on writing laws
and policies -- that is the death of democracy, and I do not know
whether you care for democracy or not.

> Who/what gives us that authority?

Are you asking this question to yourself?? Political authority comes
only form people, and businesses can never have it...

> I have not been following the IANA transition from the very beginning,
> but I will venture to guess that such an option was never on the
> table… that said, if I am mistaken and there was a missed opportunity
> to embark upon such an ambitious project, feel free to set the record
> straight… ;-)

Jursidiciton question was there from the start... They then said, let us
do it in the second post transition phase - and it is being considered
now...

> Thanks again for starting this conversation and sharing your Op-Ed.
> It's good to be able to have this dialogue.

Thanks, and I am happy to take it forward....

best regards, parminder