[bestbits] Invitation, revised IGF day 0 workshop: How to bring democratic deliberation practice to Internet Governance

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Tue Nov 29 20:56:46 EST 2016

Hello all,

I'm an advisor to the Stanford University Deliberative Poll project
which debuted as a pilot at last year's IGF, and is being further
trialled at this year's IGF.  The researchers are looking into the
potential to bring democratic practices and values in general, and
deliberation in particular, into the multistakeholder Internet
Governance world.  They believe that peer-reviewed balanced briefing
materials and well conducted deliberation can significantly improve
informed governance and decision making in our field.

As some of you may know, this is also a subject that is dear to my own
heart, and I have expressed disappointment (through my IGF blog
<http://igfwatch.org> and book
<https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0980508401>) that the IGF has not
really begun to tap the potential to democratize global governance of
the Internet through deliberative democratic innovations.  So we have
here a unique opportunity to investigate the possibilities for
leveraging this unique global forum into a more effective tool to
improve the inclusiveness and quality of Internet public policy development.

The Deliberative Poll event is taking place this year from 2pm to 5pm on
Day 1, December 5.  Please see the invitation below for more details and
rsvp here <https://goo.gl/forms/657n7bXms0AjUo113>!  The organizers and
I would love to discuss and collaborate with you on this important project.