[bestbits] Civil Society Letter on IANA Transition

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 28 00:40:41 EDT 2016

On Saturday 28 May 2016 03:05 AM, Pranesh Prakash wrote:
> Dear Niels, Carolina, and all,
>
> Niels ten Oever <lists at digitaldissidents.org> [2016-05-25 17:03:53
> +0200]:
>> So I would have thought that Pranesh would support efforts to ensure the
>> work of civil society in ICANN in general and the work of CIS in
>> specific, would make it's way through.
>
> I beg to disagree: I don't feel the main concerns that CIS has raised
> over the course of the transition have made any difference whatsoever
> in the process.

In the run up to the IANA transition, there were 3-4 meetings held in
India on this issue - most of them organised by groups quite sympathetic
to ICANN and involved with it (this included the dept of IT, Indian
gov). In all these meetings, without fail, the two key issues that came
out, and on which by far most people present agreed, were (1) external
oversight (meaning some kind of oversight of ICANN  processes from
outside the groups closely involved in its policy processes)) and (2)
jurisdiction of ICANN. Both these issues have been disregarded.

India has one sixth of the global population. I have no doubt that
similar concerns would have been foremost in almost all developing
countries, and also most non US developed countries.

Now when the process concludes claiming some kind of consensus, and
openness and inclusiveness of all views, one would obviously wonder what
to make of it. Who decides that most key views were included, and the
process was open. It was always some kind of a self fulfilling prophecy,
an article of incontrovertible faith - that ICANN is open and inclusive,
and it will considered open and inclusive no matter what it does and
what comes out of the process. This is a new kind of tyranny, woven
strangely from the fabric of a so-called 'openness'. No doubt a
fantastic achievement in a way.

parminder