[bestbits] Civil Society Letter on IANA Transition

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed May 25 09:59:46 EDT 2016

On 25/05/2016 1:11 AM, Pranesh Prakash wrote:

> Dear all,
> I recently came across this:
> http://bestbits.net/iana-transition/
>
> However, I never saw its contents being discussed on this list.  Did I
> somehow fail to receive those messages?

I agree there was a shortfall in the process here - the drafting should
have come to the list before the text was finalised but I myself didn't
know that this was going on until it was ready and was approached to put
it up online urgently that same day (and two hours later I was
questioned why I hadn't put it up already!).  I understand that there
are sometimes cases of urgency where it's impossible to consult, but I
don't know why that was the case here.

On the other hand, all collectively have to take responsibility for the
decision made at the last Best Bits meeting that we were no longer going
to have a steering committee to make these calls, leaving the platform
essentially as Matthew has presented it in his last message - that it
will be just loosely administered as a coordinating platform for anyone
who wants to use it, and those who wish to endorse a joint statement can
do so while those who don't wish to, won't.

I would really (really!) welcome others who wish to come on board to
help to administer the Best Bits platform, even though it is no longer
as a formal steering committee.  We can't have it both ways - nobody
wishing to volunteer, and then at the same time complaining that there
is no gatekeeping of content.  So please do contact me if you can help out.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en