[bestbits] Civil Society Letter on IANA Transition

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed May 25 09:03:00 EDT 2016

Dear Pranesh,
I also have a concern - serious at least in my view. The third paragraph of
the statement begins with this sentence "When the Internet community came
together in Marrakech in March 2016 to endorse and forward the IANA
transition package to NTIA, there was consensus that the product of two
years of challenging hard work was robust and credible and met the key NTIA
criteria." I have noticed, and questioned publicly, the spreading "loose"
use of the word "community" which is leading, again in my view, to a rather
dangerous conflation of concepts. To my mind it is incorrect to suggest
that the ICANN community, which met in Marrakech in March, is the same
thing as the internet community of which the ICANN community is a subset.
This - deliberately? - confusing use of the word "community" has been going
on for several years.
I wonder does anyone else consider it to be a matter for concern?
Best wishes
Deirdre

On 25 May 2016 at 04:11, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I recently came across this:
> http://bestbits.net/iana-transition/
>
> However, I never saw its contents being discussed on this list.  Did I
> somehow fail to receive those messages?
>
> I am quite concerned about the way the letter takes an uncritical global
> North approach to the IANA transition, and refuses to contend with the
> power dynamics at play.
>
> The undersigned civil society and public interest groups believe that the
>> IANA transition is a positive development for the Domain Name System and
>> for the Internet at large, and that the process to develop the transition
>> proposal has been a successful expression of multistakeholder approaches to
>> Internet decision-making.
>>

> I have pointed out in the past that this IANA transition process fails the
> requirements of the NetMundial Statement, and was primarily led by
> corporate interests in the US, and men:
>
> http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/blog/global-multistakeholder-community-neither-global-nor-multistakeholder
>
> Regards,
> Pranesh
>
> --
> Pranesh Prakash
> Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
> http://cis-india.org | tel:+91 80 40926283
> sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
> https://twitter.com/pranesh

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979