[bestbits] [governance] Now business wants to lead policy making

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri May 13 23:12:25 EDT 2016

On Thursday 12 May 2016 01:30 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> Dear Parminder, FWIW, he’s been saying this for about a year, and he keeps suggesting new intergovernmental fora where he’s going to bring this up but so far, I’ve not noticed anyone else taking this idea up.

Dear Nick

You will note from the news coverage of his announcement that he is
*not* at all suggesting a 'new intergovernmental fora', as you put it,
instead, he is calling for a 'business led multistakeholder platform'
for framing rules for global e-commerce.... He, or ecom business in
general, is of course welcome to submit any new ecom rules related
proposal to the WTO, or even call for an entirely new intergov body to
separately deal with global ecom... But if your key point was that no
one is taking him up on the idea, well, still idea is still strongly
backed enough for it to be discussed in the public sphere and people
give their opinion on it -- also remember Ma is  co-chair of the Net
Mundial Initiative, in which many people here have enthusiastically
participated... They for instance need to tell us what they think of
this proposal of business led public policy making, that Ma wants to
propose to G 20 later this year...

Now, what Jack Ma is calling for is the exact reification of the
language of equal footing multistakeholderism, even for public policy
decision making, that many people have be touting here - though never
clearly telling what and how of it. (Ma only takes it a clear one step
forward, from equal footing to business leading it, which, we all know
is always the meaning and intention of the so called equal footing MS
model)...  This is just the right opportunity for multistakeholderist
ideologues to clearly tell what they want and support and what not......
They cannot remain silent even now. They should either support Ma's
proposal as just the kind of thing they want, or say, no, this is not
what they have always asked for, and it is different in this and this
manner.

parminder