[bestbits] Imagine Fast Internet in Africa? Join our planning group!

Renata Avila renata.avila at webfoundation.org
Sun Mar 20 13:49:26 EDT 2016

Dear friends and partners,

Web We Want and Alliance for Affordable Internet is forming a group of
activists across Africa (and friendly international experts willing to
help) who will campaign together for more affordable Internet access. We
are planning an action week from May 1-7, 2016 and would very much like you
to support the effort.

You are probably aware that the Internet is painfully slow and expensive
across Africa. We NEED to get the message through everywhere that political
action makes faster and more affordable Internet a reality AND that more
access is critically important for development.

While it is a technical and highly political topic, we are preparing a
toolkit for advocates, to contribute to more effective campaigning.

We expect a combination of online and offline activity by any collective.
While internet rights activists will be the captains of the boat, we are
also hoping that the initiative can bring new actors on board, from women
and girl groups, to tech entrepreneurs, from artists to librarians. In
fact, there will be grants available to help cover costs of local events in
Africa you may be interested in organising. Funds are limited and we want
to allocate those as soon as possible, so you can start working on the
planning.

The campaign is called F.A.S.T. Africa (that’s Fast, Affordable, Safe, and
Transparent) and you can read more on our website, which will soon have a
toolkit and more information.

http://webwewant.org/fast-africa

If you would like to join the planning group (email group) where we will
discuss the strategy and details of the campaign, please submit your name
here:

https://webwewant.org/fast-africa/fast-africa-planning-group/

Alternatively, if you don’t know how much you can be involved but wish to
endorse the campaign, submit your name online and we’ll keep you updated by
email.

https://webwewant.org/fast-africa/

Wishing you the best,

Renata Avila

Global Campaign Manager

Web We Want | #FASTafrica

PS: Keep in touch!

Renata Avila

Jabber ID renataavila at jabber.ccc.de - Skype ID renata.avila.pinto

Key: 0xB43D89CA1 Fingerprints C8A2 5CC8 2E10 BEC2 3E86 7E0E 4AFC 981A B43D
89CA

Telephone +49 15252609522

@webwewant  <https://twitter.com/webwewant>

*1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington DC 20005, USA* *| *
*www.webfoundation.org* <http://www.webfoundation.org/>* | Twitter:
@webfoundation*