[bestbits] Brazil approves 8 internet censorhip laws

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:50:03 EDT 2016

Dear all, just a quick observation: what was published yesterday was the
final report of a Congressional committee of investigation. The report
offers suggestions for future bills and asks for expedite discussion of
some bills already in Congress. Although the suggestions are concerning and
one-sided, there is no approved bill yet. Since the political temperature
is now very high in Brazil, it is important that we stay vigilant and
combative of attempts to curb rights, but we also need to be careful not to
throw wood into the fire and present this as a fait accompli.

Best wishes,
MarĂ­lia

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Mishi Choudhary <mishi at softwarefreedom.org>
wrote:

> Renata,
>
> Can you provide  a gist of what has been passed?
>
> On 03/31/2016 12:35 PM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Yesterday, Brazilian Congress approved 8 internet censorship bills
> > projects.
> >
> > This has been brewing for a long time but it is still shocking.
> >
> > Freedom of expression advocates in the region can use your support more
> > than ever.
> >
> > Unfortunately I have only links in Portugues. More news to come.
> >

> https://medium.com/@ITSriodejaneiro/pol%C3%ADticos-querem-censurar-a-internet-no-brasil-com-a-desculpa-de-combater-o-cibercrime-bb2de118efa3#.w6m5nl35c
> >

> http://ibidem.org.br/cpiciber-organizacoes-da-sociedade-civil-apresentam-suas-preocupacoes-ao-relator/
> >
> > http://cpiciber.codingrights.org/sumario-executivo/
> >
> > All the best
> >
> > Renata

> Warm Regards
> Mishi Choudhary, Esq.
> Legal Director
> Software Freedom Law Center
> 1995 Broadway Floor 17| New York, NY-10023
> Direct: +1-212-461-1912| Main: +1-212-461-1901| Fax: +1-212-580-0898
> www.softwarefreedom.org
> Assistant: Rose Regina Lawrence | roseregina at softwarefreedom.org
>

> Executive Director
> SFLC.IN
> K-9, Second Floor, Jangpura Extn.| New Delhi-110014
> Main: +91-11-43587126 | Fax: +91-11-24323530
> www.sflc.in
> Assistant: Mamta Varma | mamta at softwarefreedom.in

*MarĂ­lia Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law
School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts
DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/