[bestbits] [governance] Blogpost: Alternative "Best Practices" for the A4AI (to be renamed Alliance for an Accessible Internet)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 05:06:04 EDT 2016

+ 1 @ Nick.

From: nashton at consensus.pro
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 12:37:01 +0545
CC: bestbits at lists.bestbits.net
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; gurstein at gmail.com
Subject: Re: [bestbits] [governance] Blogpost: Alternative "Best Practices" for the A4AI (to be renamed Alliance for an Accessible Internet)

Dear Michael,
May I suggest that in the first instance, before proposing to rewrite A4Ai’s entire mission and purpose, you and those interested could have a conversation with them about your concerns?
I suspect that will get a better reception from presenting them with a redraft completely out of the blue, without having any dialogue.
Regards, Nick

On 26 Mar 2016, at 23:49, Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:My original blogpost examining the “Policy and Regulatory Best Practices” of the Alliance for an Affordable Internet (A4AI’s) has generated some considerable discussion including on the InternetPolicy elist sponsored by the Internet Society (ISOC).  In the course of that discussion a challenge was put forward by Bill Smith, a tech industry veteran, Board Member of ISOC and the “tech evangelist” for PayPal as follows (taken from a post to the InternetPolicy elist (Fri 2016-03-25 9:31 AM)What is lacking in the discussion against A4AI, is a well-articulated alternative. Some bits and pieces may appear but they suffer from the same deficiencies attributed to A4AI’s principles, best practices, and policy positions – they are offered as fact with no substantiation.A4AI has what I consider a set of easily understandable principles, best practices, and policy positions. I suspect that when applied in practice, they will be effective in many circumstances. They may not be appropriate in all. (Think globally act locally.)What I haven’t seen are a similar set of principles, best practices, and policy positions from the non-neoliberal corner. Perhaps such a set could be presented to this list for consideration and debate.This below is my response to this challenge (I have added additional comments by Brandt Dainow also a contributor to the InternetPolicy elist):https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/alternative-best-practices-for-the-a4ai-to-be-renamed-alliance-for-an-accessible-internet/ http://tinyurl.com/zhejpvh M ____________________________________________________________You received this message as a subscriber on the list:    governance at lists.igcaucus.orgTo be removed from the list, visit:    http://www.igcaucus.org/unsubscribingFor all other list information and functions, see:    http://lists.igcaucus.org/info/governanceTo edit your profile and to find the IGC's charter, see:    http://www.igcaucus.org/Translate this email: http://translate.google.com/translate_t