[bestbits] [governance] Fwd: [IGFmaglist] IGF Retreat Participants

Marianne Franklin m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 04:40:36 EDT 2016

+1 from me

MF

On 24/06/2016 07:52, Marilia Maciel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to go back to the point on remote participation. First of
> all, if there is one remote participant listed, the infrastructure to
> enable remote participation is obviously in place. It is just a matter
> of opening and scaling it to allow others to connect. Secondly, the
> issue of allowing or not remote participation in meetings of limited
> membership has been extensively debated in CSTD WGs. It was a very
> important step to see the meetings of the WGEC being open to
> observers, both physically and remotely through WebEx.
>
> It seems inconceivable to me that we take such a significant step
> backwards in terms of transparency and that we give up the openness
> that others before us worked so hard to achieve. Transparency and
> accountability are pillars that all organisations and bodies should
> abide by. It should not matter if the meeting is being held by IGF,
> CSTD or DESA. I hope that our civil society representatives in MAG
> will be able to influence a final decision. A joint letter could also
> be helpful at this moment.
>
> All the best wishes,
> Marilia
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:57 AM, Renata Aquino Ribeiro
> <raquino at gmail.com <mailto:raquino at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     Thanks for mentioning gender balance and sending in these numbers.
>     It is great to know the CSCG had an eye for this and sent a
>     message about the disparity of male/female participation.
>
>     I`d like just to clarify that my comments about being worried
>     about the process converge with a general ask for greater clarity
>     and participation on the debate about the next 10 years of the
>     IGF. All that is being discussed just reaffirms that the majority
>     of civil society wants to participate on this debate, considering
>     or not its start on retreat.
>
>     My congratulations to Sala and Nnenna have been expressed in other
>     discussion spaces, as well as to all CS representatives. If not,
>     here they go again.
>
>     On the spirit of moving forward, CS groups have much more to plan
>     in relation to perspectives on internet governance. We all hope to
>     have some news to share on this soon.
>
>     Best,
>
>     Renata
>

>     On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 6:47 PM, Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
>     <mailto:ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>
>         If I may just touch on three things mentioned here:
>         Firstly, submissions to the IGF Retreat close June 30. Is
>         anyone planning a submission? It’s one way to get things on
>         the agenda. CSCG is doing a submission, but in line with its
>         brief it will only talk about cleaning up the MAG nomination
>         processes. ( we will make it public when it is finalised). But
>         I would encourage other submissions, that is one way to get
>         matters of concern on the table. I think the chance of a whole
>         of civil society submission is remote with only a week to go,
> [...]

Marianne Franklin, PhD
Professor of Global Media and Politics
Convener: Global Media & Transnational Communications Program
Goldsmiths (University of London)
Department of Media & Communications
New Cross, London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 207 9197072
<m.i.franklin at gold.ac.uk>
@GloComm
http://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/staff/franklin/
Chair of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet)
Steering Committee/Former Co-Chair Internet Rights & Principles Coalition )
www.internetrightsandprinciples.org
@netrights

Special Series Editor, Human Rights and the Internet
https://www.opendemocracy.net/hri

Digital Dilemmas: Power, Resistance and the Internet (Oxford University Press)
http://global.oup.com/academic/product/digital-dilemmas-9780199982707?cc=nl&lang=en&q=Digital%20dilemmas&tab=reviews#

Championing Human Rights on the Internet (I-VI)
https://www.opendemocracy.net/marianne-franklin/championing-human-rights-on-internet-part-six-summing-up-too-much-or-not-enough

“What does (the Study of) World Politics Sound Like?”
co-authored with Matt Davies in World Politics and Popular Culture: Theories, Methods, Pedagogies
http://www.e-ir.info/2015/04/22/edited-collection-popular-culture-and-world-politics/