[bestbits] ACTION: Sign on Rule 41 Global Campaign

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Mon Jun 13 15:19:29 EDT 2016

Holas

I'm reaching out to you regarding an advocacy campaign my colleague
Rainey Reitman at EFF is putting together to raise awareness about a
pending change to search warrant standards in the United States that
will affect people worldwide. We'd love your help and support.

The change is a pending update to Rule 41 of the Federal Rules of
Criminal Procedure, which would grant authority to judges across the
U.S. to issue a search warrant for hacking or surveillance when a
computer's location is unknown or when the computer is part of a botnet.
This will directly impact people outside of the United States --
especially those using privacy protective technologies!
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/04/rule-41-little-known-committee-proposes-grant-new-hacking-powers-government

The U.S. Congress has until December 1 to stop this rule change from
taking effect. We're going to raise public awareness through a day of
action on June 21.

I've attached a coalition letter that explains the problem in depth.
We're hoping that you can help out in 3 ways:

1. Sign the attached coalition letter, which we'll publish and send to
members of Congress.
2. List your logo on our coalition page, which will be a community of
tech companies and advocacy groups standing against the changes to Rule 41.
3. Show support on our day of action, June 21. This could mean embedding
a banner on your website which will let people contact Congress (it
would look like this:
https://efforg.github.io/ngw-banner/example/banner.html ) or publishing
a statement on your website, tweeting out support, emailing your list
asking them to speak out, or other actions that can help drive
awareness. Just let us know if you can help out.

Please let me know if you have questions, if you have a few minutes to
jump on the phone next week, or if you think you can participate. I've
added a few links below my signature with more information about Rule 41.

Thanks,

Katitza Rodriguez
EFF International Rights Director

Rainey Reitman
*EFF Activism Director* | 415.436.9333 ext 140
815 Eddy Street, San Francisco, CA 94109
Love EFF? Twitter. <https://twitter.com/eff> Facebook.
<https://facebook.com/eff> Donate. <https://supporters.eff.org/donate/>
Take action. <https://eff.org/act>

More about Rule 41