[bestbits] Update on the CSCG Working Group

Nadira Alaraj nadira.araj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:44:56 EDT 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 3:11 AM
Subject: [cs-coord] Update on CSCGWG
To: cs-coord at internetgov-cs.org

​Folks, here is a summary of the progress so far of the CSCG Working Group
– my personal summary, happy for any comments from other WG members or
anyone else interested. Feel free to copy to other lists.

Ian

------

​

GENERAL AGREEMENT SO FAR

Maintain “coalition of coalitions” model

Two year terms for coalition representatives, 2 reps per member, stand down
after max two terms (4 years) before being eligible for re-election again

Chair elected by members – can be from among members or an outsider

Chair plus up to two co-chairs – co-chairs from member reps.

Nomcoms are one rep per member coalition plus separate non voting chair

Scope to remain solely to ensure a coordinated civil society response and
conduit when it comes to making civil society appointments to outside
bodies.

Support to develop separate entity - but related body- to look at funding
issues for civil society representatives travel (eg CSCG members might be
trustees of new entity)

ISSUES

Some discussion has taken place on new coalition members, with a general
agreement that this might include regional coalitions.  However we need to
clarify what procedures might be adopted for inclusion of regional
coalitions and other potential new members.

STILL TO DO

REFINE AND EXPAND ON SUGGESTED DIRECTIONS ABOVE

REVISE PROCEDURES

OUTREACH ISSUES
​